Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed the oil and filter, without needing 4 elbows! The secret to getting the filter out the top, instead of back down along the frame, exhaust, cross bracket and drive shaft... Take the two bolts out of the steering shaft coupler, let the lower portion drop down, pull the filter and replace.
Everything else I like, but the oil filter placement was chosen by a sadistic bastard.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve never fought with an oil filter so hard before. So now I’m buying an oil filter wrench to make it a lot easier to remove.

·
Super Moderator
13,697 Posts
I’ve never fought with an oil filter so hard before. So now I’m buying an oil filter wrench to make it a lot easier to remove.
I can't imagine why you would want to punish yourself that way.

My preference is a cap wrench, but, you end up having to get multiple sizes, there are also "three jaw universals", and, you can just buy a filter with a hex nut on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a strap wrench to loosen it, that part is easy. It's the removal from the chassis that has frustrated me up until now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't imagine why you would want to punish yourself that way.

My preference is a cap wrench, but, you end up having to get multiple sizes, there are also "three jaw universals", and, you can just buy a filter with a hex nut on it.
Yeah that’s what I meant. I’m gonna try out one of the three jaw ones from harbor freight, That should do the trick.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Thought about fitting a filter relocation kit? Not cheap but well worth it

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have thought about it. Probably will happen when I take it apart to seal the timing cover leaks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I cursed the engineers until I found a cap wrench that fit, and a stubby ratchet. Easy peasy- I can have the filter off and out the bottom in a heartbeat and a half. And I'm old and fat. 😉

Reactions: mash4077
1 - 8 of 8 Posts