Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not find any oil at all around the rear seal area, however there was a little up top by the back of the valve cover or disto-seal. I not sure where it came from. Would it be harder to replace the disto ring from this angle? I thought I may as well.
What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I did wipe off the top by the disto, as there was a drip on the lower bolt of the disto mount. There was zero oil around the seal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i would try it why not. especially since it leaks too. will mess up yous clutch assembly too. i dont know how but i guess a florr jack is holding up the engine level be careful bcuz i read on here some were that if you remove the tranny you need to support the engine or place a wood block behind the disto to keep it from breakin and hitting the fire wall

·
Registered
293 Posts
You replace the distributor O-rings by removing the distributor from the top. Unless you think the gasket between the distributor housing and head is leaking, I would not remove it.

Before removing the distributor, remember to mark the position that the rotor button and the distributor body is facing so that you can put everything back the same way. Clean the area and mark with a sharpie. Failure to do this properly may result in extreme exasperation later.

To remove the distributor, just loosen and the remove the adjusting 12mm bolt, and lift the distributor body out. Replace the two o-rings, lube the o-rings with fresh oil, and re-insert the distributor, making sure that the marks you made line up.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Worn out Distributor O-rings are a common cause of oil leakage for the zook motors. They (both of them) are an easy replacement if you mark the disty position before pulling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You replace the distributor O-rings by removing the distributor from the top. Unless you think the gasket between the distributor housing and head is leaking, I would not remove it.

Before removing the distributor, remember to mark the position that the rotor button and the distributor body is facing so that you can put everything back the same way. Clean the area and mark with a sharpie. Failure to do this properly may result in extreme exasperation later.

To remove the distributor, just loosen and the remove the adjusting 12mm bolt, and lift the distributor body out. Replace the two o-rings, lube the o-rings with fresh oil, and re-insert the distributor, making sure that the marks you made line up.
Worn out Distributor O-rings are a common cause of oil leakage for the zook motors. They (both of them) are an easy replacement if you mark the disty position before pulling.
I wonder how often the dist leaks from the head mounted position? (does that seal start to leak as often as the other two o-rings?) Looks like it may be an easier job than I thought.
So, when I mark the dist, I should mark inside the cap(relative to rotor) AND mark on the dist shaft housing relative to the 12mm mounting screw? other words, mark it both inside and out, so that I get the teeth back in the original spot.

I think I've got it.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I wonder how often the dist leaks from the head mounted position? (does that seal start to leak as often as the other two o-rings?) Looks like it may be an easier job than I thought.
So, when I mark the dist, I should mark inside the cap(relative to rotor) AND mark on the dist shaft housing relative to the 12mm mounting screw? other words, mark it both inside and out, so that I get the teeth back in the original spot.

I think I've got it.

Thanks guys!
The point where the housing meets the head IS the second o-ring. The first is the one on the disty shaft. Both need to be replaced as they are both probably the originals. And yes, mark the inside AND outside as you mentioned. Sorry I wasn't clear.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hum...the oil is all on the sump pan...is there any to front of the pan?
If there is there is an o ring for the dip stick that fails and leaks collect around the sump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts