Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i change the light bulb on instruments panel on suzuki reno 07. After i put it all back everything works fine except the speedometer, when i drive the arrow slowly goes counterclockwise. other arrows for fuel, temp, and rpms works fine.

What is the problem and how to fix it?
THank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
remove the panel and check all the connections and wires, make sure none of the wires are cut open and shorting the circuit. Try and follow the speedometer cable to the point that it connects to the drivetrain.

Did you use the right bulb? i don't know how the instrument panel is wired in a reno but that could be the bulb. Check the power ratings on the bulb to took out and compare them to the one you put in.

You could even remove the new bulb you put in and see if the speedometer works without it to diagnose that it is the wrong bulb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i toook of light bulbs same thing, now another light bulb stopped workng, and speedo the same first goes counterclockwise then stops..
crap, i think i ll end up buying new odometer now,

·
Registered
24 Posts
... did you drop it? are you connecting everything properly? You removed the bulbs? i thought you said you only installed 1 new bulb.... Did you check the wires? did you clean the connectors?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... did you drop it? are you connecting everything properly? You removed the bulbs? i thought you said you only installed 1 new bulb.... Did you check the wires? did you clean the connectors?
note really the only thing that i can come up with. Its that i didnt unplugged the battery. Maybe this screwed it up?

what are the chances huh

·
Registered
24 Posts
note really the only thing that i can come up with. Its that i didnt unplugged the battery. Maybe this screwed it up?

what are the chances huh
I would try putting a new working cluster in and if everything is working then you know that there is an issue with the cluster.

If that does not work it is going to be a wiring issue or a speedometer issue.

A few other things,
have you checked all the fuses?

maybe check the wiring diagrams to making sure everything is plugged in properly?

Its possible you shorted something that blew the circuit. Inverting the polarity is a good way to break stuff. Especially capacitors.

The more details you can give the better.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
ok so when you took the gauges out to replace the bulb did you take the front off the cluster or touch the needles in any way? did you replace with the oem bulbs? you shouldnt have to disconnect the battery to take the cluster out. after taking the cluster out and putting it back in when you turn the key on, i think thats when, it does a little recalibrating. the needles will move then go back into place. there is a chance i suppose that when moving the gauges you mite have moved the needle and it wasnt in the right place when you put it back. heres my suggestion. take the gauge cluster back out make sure all the needles are in there rest position. just check and make sure the speedometer needle is all the way to zero or the little post. then plug everything back in and reinstall the cluster. then turn the key to the on position, you know when the radio can be on but the cars not started. see if the needles do there little movement. should only take a few seconds. if not you could try to start the car and see if they work or not. the other thing you could do is. disconnect the battery get in the car and step on the brake pedal for two min or so to drain the remaining charge in the car. this will reset the ecu. reconnect the battery and see what happens. if it STILL doesnt work my last suggestion would be; the engine harness runs from the engine bay through the drivers side fender then back in to the fuse box in the dash. sometimes the coating on the wires can rub off where it passes through the fender and ground out the system. you could check that. thats all i can think of right now. just so you know if you do get a new cluster you need to go to the dealer and have it programed or the cluster wont work. sorry for the long post :) let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
checked the fuse. No problem. Yes in order to change light bulbs you have to remove all needles. What i think is when i pulled the speed needles, i messed up small wheel inside the unit in the back. (see pic) tomorrow i ll try to put them back up. hopefully it will work.

So i guess dealer will program only brand new cluster? Or i can bring my own, cause i see them on ebay go for 70 bucks and up.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Oh no!!! You don't need to do that!!! The bulbs are all accessible from the back. You just take the whole cluster out of the dash. What you probably did was put the needle back in the wrong spot. You could try to play with it a little and see if you get it back right. Unless its broken. They can be fragile. I'm pretty sure a dealer will program any cluster you bring to them. Keep with the updates. If its spinning slowly backwards. It might be one turn to far on the post. You could try to take the needle off and put it back in pointing to the right. May work. Not sure

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i learn from my mistakes.

So i was so tired of trying to fix the speedo. SO i bought another cluster on ebay. It was from 06. Ad says it fits 07. I put it in.

Then i see that it doesnt have harness socket on a left. only middle and on the right (pic below) However it still works. And now it has 33k miles only, I had 115k originally. And 06 speedo doesnt show what gear the car in.

Other then that works fine.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
its the wrong spedo for your car. also it says 33k because thats how many miles the car it came out of had. you need to go to the dealer and have the spedo programed for your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts