Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4MT, I am putting a 2006 PT Cruiser Body on the drivetrain. I started the project last March during COVID when I had a few weeks of time off. It has been sitting for many months now and I'm trying to get it going. Let me preface the post with the fact that I'm not a mechanic but am somewhat mechanically inclined. The internet is definitely my crutch. I had completely pulled the wiring harness and cut the firewall and cobbled it into the PT Body (first time ever welding, LOL). Anyway, here's my situation and I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out. I tried to gather anything that looked like a ground wire and grounded it to the chassis. I plugged everything in that I thought was needed except no front or rear lighting, dash speedo, and dash blower system. Those are not hooked up. Upon first attempt to start here's my results:

1. Fuel Pump pressurizes and there's fuel at the rail
2. I pulled the spark plug closest to the front of the engine and there is spark
3. The vehicle starts right up with a Starting fluid in the airbox

I smelled the funky smell of burning electronics and opened up my ECU (33920-70EA0). It appears that R221 is burned. Internet searching tells me this is related to the check engine light.

Anyway, I bought one of the NOID Tester kits at Harbor Freight and plugged it on. I get no resulting lights from cranking. There is only 5v at the first injector.

I have a 1994 model as well so I pulled the computer and plugged it in and got the same results. The 1994 model will start and run with either computer plugged into it. There is 12v at the first injector on the 94 model and the NOID tester lights up.

I've plugged in the dash housing on the '95 (no lights) at all. I do see a small bundle with the red, white, and blue wires are not hooked to anything that run off the back top corner of the speedometer assembly. In other searches, I've seen mention of the dome light fuse/ground. I don't have any of that part hooked up at this point.

Can a member here offer any guidance as to what to do next?
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
Find a wiring diagram that matches the donor vehicle and start looking for what you missed in the wiring - you mention "first injector" so I'm going to assume you have a 16v engine with multi-point injection, there should be 12V power to the injector, as is there on the 94 - as far as I recall that power comes from the FI main relay, again, as far as I recall, the ignition system is not fed from the FI main relay, which might explain why you have spark but no fuel.

There is not a lot that we can do at a distance because we do not know what is connected correctly, what is connected incorrectly, and what is just not connected.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,518 Posts
The fuel injectors are powered by battery voltage via the F1 fuse, the injectors are fired by ground switching by the ECU..

If the noid light lights up steady there is a full on ground to the injector circuit..This will burn out the injector coil..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I left that out... yes, it is a 16v.

The NOID light never comes on at all on the 1995. I'm assuming it's because I'm only getting 5.6v to the injectors.

I've run up and down the wiring harness looking for something else to plug. Unfortunately, it became a big ball of wiring during the swap process and I've sorted it to the best of my ability. Does the dome light have anything at all to do with anything? Is it OK to leave that wiring unplugged? I have a manual but it covers 1989 and through 1998 and isn't year specific. Anyone have a link to a 1995 4 door sidekick manual? I tried kickfix.com as there is a wealth of information there, but the link for the 1995 wiring didn't seem to work for me. I've checked across all the fuses inside the cab and they all checked good. I searched online and it showed FI as a 20amp in that interior fuse block. Did I read that correctly?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
No help on anything, but that is a cool body to try. Now I`ve see most all conversions.

Reactions: GeneinWW

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Acks FAQS will also give you fuse details for the 16v. My car is the 8v ,but in answer to your question, my F1 fuse is 15a. Also, while the dome lamp runs off of the same fuse as the ECU, the specific wire going to the lamp shouldn’t affect anything…..
For specific questions (like R221) for your ECU, I’d post over on Rhino’s site, for the definitive answer of what that circuit does. He builds and repairs these ECU’s and is very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Bex, I'll check that diagram out. I did find a video on YouTube that showed the bundled red, white, and blue wires on the back of the dash cluster go to a check engine reset switch. I did not have that plugged up, I'm curious if that caused it to burn the R221 check engine light diode.

Also, there seems to be a whole row of lights missing on the lower back section of the dash cluster is this normal (see photo).

Motor vehicle Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Engineering

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Thank you Bex, I'll check that diagram out. I did find a video on YouTube that showed the bundled red, white, and blue wires on the back of the dash cluster go to a check engine reset switch. I did not have that plugged up, I'm curious if that caused it to burn the R221 check engine light diode.

Also, there seems to be a whole row of lights missing on the lower back section of the dash cluster is this normal (see photo).

View attachment 103695
Shine a torch thru each hole and see what symbol lights up, then you can work out if your vehicle needs that

Reactions: LandShark

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
The diagram here shows at least 2 bulbs back there.

Reactions: LandShark
1 - 12 of 12 Posts