Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Got my first samu a week ago and I'm in the process of restoring it. Really great vehicle and this forum just adds more value to the samu!

I've searched the forum and could not find any thread on how to dismantle the instrument cluster. How do i get the instrument cluster out? I saw 2 screws on top of the cluster but could not get it past the hazard light switch.

The steering column doesn't have an adjustment lever to pull the steering column down and I don't know if the hazard light switch can come off (tried wiggling it gently in all directions though).

How can I get the panel out so that I could change the instrument lights and clean the plastic canopy?

Thank you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Right;
There are 2 screws above the panel and 2 below
Remove steering wheel (horn literally pulls off)
Remove the bit of rectangular trim under the steering wheel
Follow the steering shaft down and you will see 2 big star bolts, remove these
This should allow you to pull the whole steering column down
Hold it down and pull out the cluster, remove cables
Jobs a good un' :)

Any problems just ask, done this many times

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much chris! Will try this out tomorrow. This should allow access to the steering column covers as well. :) I could probably do a light paint job on those too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Those bolt-heads on my '93 Samurai take a T40 torx. Found a cheap but strong driver at Harbor Freight #91255.

The steering wheel simply pulls off, once you remove the large bolt under the horn button. I put a very thin coat of lube on the splines to make it easier to remove next time. Mark the orientation first, so you can reinstall it the same.

My plastic steering column covers had deteriorated (from age & sun (UV) exposure) to the point that they were literally crumbling away. I was able to get new ones from the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your replies! finally cleaned the cluster, changed the bulbs, strengthened the dash cover beneath the steering column, and painted the column covers! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts