Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be done to get more power from the 2.0l l4 2003 Aerio. Preferably on the cheaper side of things. Also has anyone turbocharged or suppercharged on of these. If so what did you do.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I will watch the night skies for the explosion if you try fitting a turbo or supercharger. Not much you can do to these engines to get more power i'm afraid.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
What spark plugs are best for these?
the ones recommended in the owners manual are the ones you should use, iridium tipped ones (if available) will improve economy.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Anything else to do to improve efficiency. New to Suzuki all together.
do the basics, plugs, air filter, regular oil changes. If your driving is predominately around town, use the severe driving schedule to plan maint mileages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I regained lost horsepower on my 160.000 mile liana. This is what i did.
Removed top engine cover and cleaned through all the channels for PC valve, oil breather pipe etc. ( lots of soot came out). EGR and all related pipes including the channel on the exhaust manifold that feeds the egr. New lamda sensor. Or you can get universal HO2 sensors from ebay cheaper. Throotle body clean. Wynns catalytic converter cean for fuel. Removed inlet manifold to clean it and spray wynns carb cleaner into the ports were the valves are. Change downsteam o2 sensor of bank 1. Reset ecu by removing black wire from battery and once the next drive cycle has completed mine felt so much faster and quieter and more fun.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
So this "regain of lost horsepower" was strictly "seat of the pants"

·
Registered
13 Posts
What can be done to get more power from the 2.0l l4 2003 Aerio. Preferably on the cheaper side of things. Also has anyone turbocharged or suppercharged on of these. If so what did you do.
You can turbo these. A centrifugal supercharger could work but space is hard to find and any that would fit are very expensive. (Super chargers in general are way over priced.) I have known some people to turbo Aerios but mainly running the 2.3L. The job requires a custom manifold, custom exhaust, and upgraded fuel system. You can run around 8 psi with few changes. If you want more you are going to have to pay more. A lot more. Because after that you get into the realm of forged internals, haltech ecu, etc. And the parts are not easy to get. Some even need to be made to order. None the less I am in the process of doing so on my second Aerio. You can actually get some forged parts made for other cars/engines that can be machined to fit. Though I can't remember which cars atm. The biggest worry with adding a lot of power though is eventually going to be the drivetrain.

If you do decide to turbo yours I suggest a small good quality turbo that isn't from Ebay. Some three inch dump pipe and downpipe is best for your exhaust. I also suggest getting the housing and manifold ceramic coated and heat wrapped. They sit very close to the radiator in a standard configuration.

·
Super Moderator
12,248 Posts
But, It sure feels good...!
There was a reason for the comment Phil - to emphasize the point that no quantitative measurements had been done - no dyno tests, no x seconds less 0~60 times. Sure it "felt" faster, but, that was more than likely just wishful thinking...

There's not a lot of horsepower (if any) to be regained by cleaning up the EGR & PCV systems - they are both "emission control" systems fitted only because they are required to comply with legislation.

There might actually be more power to be gained by not cleaning them - back in the day, blowby gases were vented to the atmosphere via a "road draft" tube, the PCV system now channels those back to the intake to be "re-burned", and the EGR system allows "inert" gases to be introduced into the intake air stream to reduce combustion chamber temperatures, and with that, reduce NOx (oxides of nitrogen) emissions - both systems are effectively reducing the "combustible fuel/air mixture" in the cylinder and as such, reduce the power available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts