Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching for a while, but I have not found much. I've found some cams and some other parts (Monster, R's, etc...) but I have not found any reasonable parts or builds to bring the M18a more inline with the 200hp+ b18c Honda engines.

Sure, you can turbo the M18, but the Honda b18 engines are all NA putting out over 200hp. So, I am assuming that the Suzuki M18a engine is too weak????

or

is it more like the M18 is more of a niche engine whereas the b18c engine is in the sportier Honda models?

I've looked online to find an NA M18 putting out more than 200hp. The only NA tuned M18 that I have been able to find is this on YouTube:

·
Super Moderator
12,255 Posts
Maybe the lack of replies is related to the question that was asked - because my reaction was why would anybody want to make a Suzuki anything like a Honda? Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?

I suspect you maybe correct though - there is probably more interest in wringing more power out of the Honda engines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the lack of replies is related to the question that was asked - because my reaction was why would anybody want to make a Suzuki anything like a Honda? Isn't that a step in the wrong direction?
Perhaps, but this is the Performance forum asking about getting more power as quickly and cheaply as Honda. The G13b already has this status and has so for decades.

The m16/M18 engine is a newer design that is easier to find than the rare G13b (and getting rarer with so few wanting the sell a DOHC engine).

This is a better direction than the status quo and certainly better than the direction of German cars that treat their air pumps as being made of unobtanium.

The K24 makes 300hp without much effort or bankrupting oneself. The J24 should also be similar. Suzuki motorcycles have a passionate following and tuners the world over. Suzuki cars are not crap.

·
Super Moderator
12,255 Posts
Hey - no need to get upset - no one's suggesting that Suzuki cars are crap - in fact, if you knew me, you would know that I would not be one of the people likely to suggest that.

I drove my first Suzuki back in the early 80's (one of the 3 cylinder SJs), and I have owned several different models since then, including a G13B powered five door Swift hatch (essentially a five door Swift GTi) - currently I have two different generations of Grand Vitara.

Simply put what has made Hondas more popular with the tuner crowd, is firstly availability, hundreds of thousands have been sold and secondly the ability to swap the more powerful engines from the larger vehicles into the smaller ones.

It's all about supply & demand and Suzuki will just never achieve the numbers that Honda has - it doesn't make Honda superior or Suzuki inferior - you just need to recognize that the tuner crowd is not going to go ape-sh!t crazy over the M series (or any other Suzuki motor because they can't make money doing it.

Suzuki made their mark on the world with small 4WD and that is where you're going to see the modification money being spent, not generating big horsepower numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts