Suzuki Forums banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
So I opened the steering column yesterday and disconnecting the steering angle sensor worked just as stated in the manual. The ESP light came on but niether brake warning did.

I'm going to try wiring a switch today and I'll post more. This seems a far better option than also losing ABS functionality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I opened the steering column yesterday and disconnecting the steering angle sensor worked just as stated in the manual. The ESP light came on but niether brake warning did.

I'm going to try wiring a switch today and I'll post more. This seems a far better option than also losing ABS functionality.
Would you happen to have some pics of the location of the sensor
Does connecting the sensor back enable esp?
Or you have to do a reset?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I plan to get some pictures when I go in to wire a switch.

Reconnecting the sensor causes the slippage indicator light to flash, this stops after driving with the steering wheel straight ahead for a few seconds as the sensor recalibrates itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I plan to get some pictures when I go in to wire a switch.

Reconnecting the sensor causes the slippage indicator light to flash, this stops after driving with the steering wheel straight ahead for a few seconds as the sensor recalibrates itself.
Thanks
Very interested in doing this to my gv too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay, after some time with the service manual I think I understand this better.

Suzuki recommends that if you want to disable ESP for testing the speedometer you can disable it by the scan tool and the deactivation thing seen above, OR you can disconnect the steering angle sensor.

Looking through the Fail-Safe tables I see that with the steering angle sensor disconnected the ESP light will come on, TCS/ESP will be deactivated, but ABS and EBD systems will still function normally. Whereas, if you disconnect one of wheel speed sensors the ABS and EBD systems are also disabled.

I'm going to investigate this path when I get some time. Hopefully I can get under the steering column cowling without pulling the steering wheel...
Giiba, just wondering if you have any updated info on this and pics of the connector I'll be looking for...

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, after some time with the service manual I think I understand this better.

Suzuki recommends that if you want to disable ESP for testing the speedometer you can disable it by the scan tool and the deactivation thing seen above, OR you can disconnect the steering angle sensor.

Looking through the Fail-Safe tables I see that with the steering angle sensor disconnected the ESP light will come on, TCS/ESP will be deactivated, but ABS and EBD systems will still function normally. Whereas, if you disconnect one of wheel speed sensors the ABS and EBD systems are also disabled.

I'm going to investigate this path when I get some time. Hopefully I can get under the steering column cowling without pulling the steering wheel...
Giiba, just wondering if you have any updated info on this and pics of the connector I'll be looking for...

Thanks!
Jim
Sorry no. It's on my list to do before I'm driving on snowy roads this winter, but summer as usual brings all sorts of delays to side projects. This Octember I'll do it.

And I will take some pics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pics

Sorry no. It's on my list to do before I'm driving on snowy roads this winter, but summer as usual brings all sorts of delays to side projects. This Octember I'll do it.

And I will take some pics.
Hi,

Are you able to upload some picture please :)

Thanks,
S

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm gunna ask an ignorant beginner question because I don't know if all that detailed info about turning off ESP is relevant to driving I might do. Car is GV 2014, manual, 3 door. Australia, most probably never on snow or extreme 4x4 tracks to Cape York, Simpson Desert, wherever etc. But likely to be on loose dirt towing a small teardrop van in red-dirt semi-arad regions of NSW, Qld, & SA. There's a button on my dash to turn off ESP.

Double question - What's the purpose of turning off ESP, and from my mini description above does it sound like I need to know the answer in any great detail? In other words, is this for extreme 4x4 sports, and I'm only a gravel road tourist?

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I'm gunna ask an ignorant beginner question because I don't know if all that detailed info about turning off ESP is relevant to driving I might do. Car is GV 2014, manual, 3 door. Australia, most probably never on snow or extreme 4x4 tracks to Cape York, Simpson Desert, wherever etc. But likely to be on loose dirt towing a small teardrop van in red-dirt semi-arad regions of NSW, Qld, & SA. There's a button on my dash to turn off ESP.

Double question - What's the purpose of turning off ESP, and from my mini description above does it sound like I need to know the answer in any great detail? In other words, is this for extreme 4x4 sports, and I'm only a gravel road tourist?
simple answer, its there to turn it off so you can get additional power if needed. ESP will only manually deactivate in 4Hlock. Basically stops the engine ECU from dropping power to prevent wheelspin. Leave it on and let the car do its own thing. in 4LO its disabled anyway. You will find the car very capable but being a manual its a bit high geared and you may need 4 LO just to get a low enough speed to get over any tricky stuff.

another tip, if you want to have some fun and turn off traction control as well....

If you go from 4H to 4Hlock then 4LO esp will be off, traction control will remain on, altho its activation is dialed back a bit in lo range so the wheels will spin a bit more before it activates and brakes the spinning wheel(s) auto re-activates above 30 kph in 4HLock (fun police don't like you playing off road) you will notice it coming into effect on a shingle road if you try powering it into a slide in a corner, it will drop power, settle down and your smile will disappear and you wlil go "stink, this is no fun"

if you go to 4HLock, then deactivate ESP (press and hold the button for 5 seconds) ESP off comes up on dash, then select 4LO, ESP and traction control will now be off. This is "derby in the mud" mode and you usually end up with opposite corners spinning and you go nowhere. But its fun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are you sure its fitted? I have same car . Button is there but nothing else.....

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
if you have the ESP OFF button fitted, to test it, greasy paddock, 4HLock, press and hold button until ESP off comes up in display, have fun, will reactivate at 30 kph.

if you are in 4H and press and hold the button, it will come up with a warning on the display telling you it only works in 4HLock.

All it does is disable the appropriate sensors so the car doesn't try and limit power and try to keep you in a straight line, to confirm its working, go into a corner on a shingle road and try to make the car drift over 40 kph, it will flash the stability icon, drop power and apply brakes to straighten the car up.

ESP = Fun Police when off road

if you have a 2WD model, it still deactivates, just press and hold the button, takes about 5 seconds from memory

·
Registered
310 Posts
Look at the fuse position. Nothing there.
It's the old saying we had in defence, fitted for but not with....

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Look at the fuse position. Nothing there.
It's the old saying we had in defence, fitted for but not with....
do you have the "ESP OFF" button on the RHS of the centre console under the heater fan control? if you do, then its fitted. If its just a big black button with no writing, then its not fitted. (which would be very unusual for the Aussie models)
Which fuse position are you looking at? ESP is controlled by the ABS fuses.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It just has off and some signs zag marks. I took the dash apart once to work on the head unit and the wires go nowhere. The dealer confirmed not fitted. He seemed to think it applied to all 3 dr..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe that's why I got 5k off the price???? A competitor dealer nearly gagged when I told him the price.
They also lied about the GPS updates saying they were free lifetime but that only for the firmware, maps are now over $150.00. Garmin must live on happy pills. I just use my tablet and here we go for free or metroview 19$ for my phone and my tablet.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
It just has off and some signs zag marks. I took the dash apart once to work on the head unit and the wires go nowhere. The dealer confirmed not fitted. He seemed to think it applied to all 3 dr..
nope, my 3 door 2013 has ESP. wires on the back? its all one module and comes out the little green plug over on the left hand side, the really short one thats a pain to unplug when you have to get the radio out. i'll go get a pic of my one and post it in a few mins

·
Registered
129 Posts
Right hand side under the fan control with "Push ESP Off". If I press it the dash says it's off. Before the 4 year service, just after I bought it, a warning about ESP came up a few times. The car had been sitting unused for a long time with the previous owner and the battery need to be replaced and the steering to be configured (that's what I was told).

Does that give clues to you experienced technical bods?

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Right hand side under the fan control with "Push ESP Off". If I press it the dash says it's off. Before the 4 year service, just after I bought it, a warning about ESP came up a few times. The car had been sitting unused for a long time with the previous owner and the battery need to be replaced and the steering to be configured (that's what I was told).

Does that give clues to you experienced technical bods?
yep, common with a failing battery, replace battery, drive car straight line about 200 metres and esp light on dash goes off, this means steering angle sensor has reset and all is well. Low cranking volts causes ESP warning don't ask why, but its the first indication your battery is dying

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Maybe that's why I got 5k off the price???? A competitor dealer nearly gagged when I told him the price.
They also lied about the GPS updates saying they were free lifetime but that only for the firmware, maps are now over $150.00. Garmin must live on happy pills. I just use my tablet and here we go for free or metroview 19$ for my phone and my tablet.
go buy a MY660LMT navman, lifetime maps, bluetooth hands free and a nice unit.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts