Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first car, a swift 2006 :)

Anyway, how do I clean the rust off of the wheel hub? Obviously I know I need to take the wheel off etc but what tools do I need to clean and then help protect it?

I have included 2 pics, first of the whole wheel (sorry a little hard to see) and 2nd, a close up so you can see the rust.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,182 Posts
A wire brush, some coarse sand paper & high temperature paint - I'm going to bet that after a few cycles, you'll become frustrated and just leave it - I certainly did - you might have better luck with one of the newer VHT (very high temperature) paints with ceramics, they might last longer than the old high temperature stuff, what I used was supposed to survive exhaust manifold temps, but it never lasted more than a few months on the drums.

By the way - that's the brake drum, not the hub - a large chunk of cast iron, and apart from being unsightly, surface rust doesn't harm it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the terminology update. I spoke to some guy at work and described it as "what the wheel is bolted too" and he said it was the wheel hub.

I had a browse on google and a lot people have said similar to you with most saying to use a wire brush adapter for a power drill and use that. Also a few have mentioned using the following to coat it.

Halfords | Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Hammered Silver 750ml

·
Super Moderator
12,182 Posts
The wheel does bolt to the hub, but you can't see the hub in that picture, the brake drum is what you're seeing - as for your choice of paint, brake drums get hot, rear drums, not so much, you want a paint that can withstand high temperatures or it will just burn off - Hammerite does make high temperature paints, I strongly suggest you use one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts