Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan became intermittent then stopped. Since I couldn't find any tutorials on how to access the blower I'm making one for the next poor guy. Here are the steps, (pix to follow in an update once I take them).

1. Open the glovebox and empty it. There is a small plastic phillips screw on the lower right. Once you unscrew it it backs out enough that the screw and its housing pull into the glovebox allowing it to pivot forward and out of the dash on the right side. Then the left side unhooks naturally.

2. Ignore everything except the white plastic housing on the right. There are two nuts on top of it holding it to the firewall bolts, 11mm.

3. Also loosen but don't remove the 12mm nut hidden under the left side of the housing, between it and the black air passage on the left. I needed a moderately deep socket, an extender and a ratchet. The housing will slip off to the right before the nut is entirely removed.

4. You will probably need to disconnect the resistor plug in the middle front of the housing, and the power to the motor under the right side of the housing. My power plug was burnt from a short, explaining the whole problem! (And that odd smell last week…) Happily, after wire brushing and heat shrink tubing the motor works fine again at all settings. Win!

Sorry if you need to access the fan switch in the center console. I couldn't find any way to remove that. Hopefully someone has a link they can post here for the next poor schlub!

Good luck, Rick

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I always assumed a blower motor replacement would entail nearly the same labor as a heater core replacement, which I have read involves dash removal.

I have suspected my blower output was low (cleaned it out already) but have put off the job of replacing it since I thought it would mean dash removal. And the output isn't THAT bad.

With your description, I may just tackle the job. Please do post some pics if you get a chance to take them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos of blower motor removal

This really was easy - 15 minutes or so now I know how.
Sharp medium Phillips screwdriver.
10mm socket
13mm deep socket
needle nose or pliers to loosen clips

Pix of repair steps:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157644574790612/

A few extra notes:

There is a white shrouded plastic line going to the right of the blower unit. It is held on with a metal clip, and the end loop goes over the post that controls the vent opening under the dash. Note how it is set (open or closed) before removing it so you can replace it in the same area, or mark the tube at the clip. It never seemed to move no matter how I set the dash controls though...

Poke a needle nose plier into the clip that connects power to the resistors to slip it up and off. Each clip has a different mechanism, but all were easy to squeeze and pull off with a little help from pliers.

The lower hidden bolt was a 13mm not 12 or 11. Pretty sure the top two were 10mm. Philips screw inside the R side glove box hinge. Phillips screw holding in resistor if you need to mess with that.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
thanks for the followup and pics.

Man I wish I had known how easy this job can be. When I cleaned out my blower fan I was already halfway there.

Gonna hit the salvage yards this weekend and practice on a salvage car by getting a blower motor at a pickNPull.

thanks again 95RedKick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts