Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the midwest, near St. Louis, if that matters.
How much should this Samurai cost?
No top
150,000 miles
Runs
4x4 works
needs a muffler

Thats all I know, and it's two hours away so I haven't looked at it.
What do you guys think, you're the experts!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I don't know.... that custom paint could really bring the price up.
:p

Around here it would start around $700 but it is hard to tell without more detailed pictures. No top in the midwest could mean the interior is completely trashed.
Good points to bring up during the purchase:

-Missing bumpers, wiper arm and door handle will cost to replace
-What's going on with that hood? will it shut? is that a bungee cord holding it down?
-Check for signs of rubbing where the larger tires hit the springs. tires could have issues because of it, or if they are new it could be why they replaced them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-Check for signs of rubbing where the larger tires hit the springs. tires could have issues because of it, or if they are new it could be why they replaced them.
So in your opinion those are not the stock size tires? What about ride height?
Also in another pic it looks like the center part of the steering wheel is missing and the windshield is cracked.

When you say they start at $700, do you mean that is the cheapest possible price for one in poor condition, or that is the starting price and poor condition would bring it down even more?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The tires look 'meatier' than stock, but that could just be the pic. Stock tires are much skinnier.

For a running zook with missing parts, I would start at about $700.
I couldn't see the crack in the windshield but that would definately bring the price down another $100.

One thing you have to understand is these vehicles are at least 15 years old. This one looks to be around '87 so it is 23! to find it in running condition is pretty good, and to only have 150K on the odemeter is pretty normal. Around here, folks understand the potential in a zook and will charge much more if they know the buyer is going to take advantage of the capabilities and use it on the trail. Remember, you can build a zook for much less than a Jeep and then really embarass that same Jeep on the trail!

If you can get this one fo $6-700 and then put another 2K into it you will have a real nice trail rig. Try doing that with a Jeep! Ha!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Oh,forgot ride height...

For comparison, the white zook is on 33's and the blue zook is actually on 31's. The stock tires would have been 215/75R15's which come out to about 27.7" tall.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I cant say what its worth. But Ill tell you I paid 2200 for mine a few monthes ago. I had 98 k miles 88 nice not perfect original paint a little ligt surface rust for my area I guess it was at the beach or out of state . it has very good tires bone stock nice top. I have been kind of obsessed following theses vehicles on craigs list and ebay almost daily. In my are I have not seen or heard of a Samurai that runs and is drivable for 1000 . Almost all of the ones Ive run acrossed were street legal running and 2 thousand up 3 thousand is pretty nice similar to mine . 4 thousand your talking very nice. and the ones 5000 up were usualy highly modified or close to showroom condition at say 7000. They are priced at every level you got to find what fits your needs. Cheaper isnt allways better.
Iwould have gone higher perhaps 3500 because I want a clean body that looks good to start.
If you are concindering the one in pic my guess is you are interested in the lower end. Ask yourself? 700 to purchase how much to make it run? Do you want to go on road? Smog requirements? Are You going to build this up? If you are going to do all kinds of work then really 700 or 1700 aint gona make a big differance its what are you getting for that purcase price. If you get it it free and you put a 1500 dollar motor in it you still got 1500 in it and then what about the rest of it?
Last week I did look at an 88 samurai on ebay and went and looked at Ill tell you what I saw. It was at a donation center. Soft top shot big holes. Low rider rims and tires . Body fair paint poor, interior filthy ripped seats no radio. cracked all across windsheild. Under hood actually looked pretty good (better than mine) clean. Battery looked new? They had the keys! last registered 2005 buyer pays dmv fees? Does not run they said starter doesent do any thing. They also said they think it needs a carb. No one spoke english and the high bid was at 710 dollars when I left my house to inspect. I lost interest at this price I have no Idea how it was worth 710 or what the final bid was. I was thinking of reselling it but didnt see a profit. this is my experiance look hard and get a feel for prices eventualy youll see whats good for you .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i was just kinda lurking around the forums, i'm on my 5th samurai. But ive seen this samurai before and on craigslist. I live about 30-40 mins from where its located. But if i remember right it said this one has no top, and i think ive seen it and the interior was pretty rough. I'm with the other guy here and would go somewhere around $700, i paid $500 for my current one not even hearing it run, and i had to file for a lost title. So i'd say start somewhere around $700 or so. But i'd look around and see what others are going for, i see them pop up in the st.louis area on craigslist alot. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
There are some really great zooks around St Louis (southwest of the city) built by some really good friends. They have been building unstoppable rigs for at least the last 10 years. This may drive the price of them up a little in that area just because folks that see them get dreams of building their own. I can get you in touch with these folks if you want some ideas or want to just talk zooks. Just PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That one doesent look too bad it s all what your looking for. Mine I take the family in and pull with motor home. But If I was going to just use it hunting or what ever I might not be so pickey.

·
Registered
212 Posts
buying Zook

There are many variables in the one you are looking at.
There should be pix of all sides and the inside as well...cell phone will do.
My vote would go with Billjohn and add: Is it likely that someone might have used this one for a donor for a pet project, cobbled together with parts?
The paint job could be hiding mixed and matched body parts. But as others have stated it is a good start. If it runs and the trans/tc is functional. If it can move in 4x4 as well as 2x4. If it does not have a terminally rusted frame.
It might be worth the $600 already suggested. As others have suggested, it is possible to obtain Suzukis from the low hundreds to mid thousands. All based on condition. My cheapest find was a drive home for $350, although complete it needed an engine (loud clatter) All other parts including the frame were in very good condition. A good place to start. Either look at it yourself or have someone you trust report on it for you. This forum gives best advice !!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For perspective, I sold a stock one last year with a good amount of rust, the front body section was partially smashed from a deer hit, but the thing ran. I got $850 for it through ol' Craig...

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 4x4 buddy reminded me that he bought a pair of samis for $400.
One was running well, complete, with the dash apart to repair the AC. The other was in parts...no diffs, no t/c or tranny. Engine had no ancillary parts. (no carb,starter,alt,waterppump,radiator) but body was good and frame was sporting factory paint. Also parts one had no title.
He sold many parts and nearly recovered his purchase price.
So how does that compare ?
Good luck with your purchase of a Sami

·
Registered
94 Posts
I paid $600.00 for a 1988 samurai base model, it came with a back seat, and clear title. The motor ran, but needed a new carb. I used the vehicle for parts to get my 87' hardtop running.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too late

It's too late, I've missed this one. I was going to offer him 700 this fri, but it's gone. I'm looking at a nicer one now for 1800... trying to decide if I can afford to spend that much. Here is the listing if anyone wants to give me their opinion-

88 Suzuki Samurai

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, in reference to a PM, no, there aren't a lot of samurais around here. I've been looking for months just to see one on the road or in a parking lot, and haven't seen a single one. I don't even see the older body style trackers anymore. I'm guessing he would come down a little, seems like most people will.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I find lots around here. I was thinking you might live in an area thats not as populated. Some of the prices around here (so cal) might be higher . But they are available in stock, or modified. I looked around a lot but when I found mine I knew I wanted it from the start. As I picked over it with a fine tooth comb, the negative things I found were all minor. If I wouldnt have bought this one I would have looked more and paid more for something in even better shape, as I dont want to build this vehicle (maybe later or another one)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would sit down and figure out what type of Sammy I wanted. DD / off road / wild or mild.

Then decide what my max $$$ was.

The 1st one at $700 would have been closer to $1000 after you got you license, title, registration, insurance, and new top.

The $1800 might be a better buy but look it over close and figure out the cost to fix any obvious evils.

Unless you can live with them. Me I can't.... I have always bought something and fiddled with it until it was sharp and competed. Then I got tired of it and sold it and started over..... It's a vicious cycle...

If it's a Sammy you want then take your time, These little guys pop up frquently for sale on Craigslist, Ebay, Auto Trader, etc.

Search the different Forums daily. There are at least 4 that I am aware of that have active Classified sections.

You could run a want add for the rig you want in each of the above and define what you want and a price range.

Most of all take your time and look them over well. As mentioned these are older vehicles and most of them need something. Parts are available for them but just like buying one of them you will have to do some research for the best buy out there.

Happy Hunting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts