Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering the life expectancy of one of these things mine is a 2.5 v6 with 320,000kms and runs like a top,

just wondering if anyone has high kms like these

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Gotcha' beat! ;)

229000 mi. = 368539.776 km with no internal engine work to date! :)

Mileage pic 6 weeks ago...

Hoping for the magic 300,000 mile mark! We'll see. :huh:

·
Super Moderator
13,168 Posts
thats awsome
Especially with the H25 - from what I'm told those engines have issues with oil leaks and timing chains. A friend of mine has an '01 that is always in the shop, and always leaking oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow I hope I have that luck I guess if you spend enough time maintaining it you'll have it for a long time I'm at about 91,000 miles which is 146,450 km.

Already need a paint job from the AZ sun but engine is solid from what I see so far. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Just don't beat em' and change the oil w/5W-30 every 3-4 K is all. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm very fond of cruise control and traveling on slopes... slow me down to 65 mph so I wouldn't say I beat on it.

I just bought it about a month ago so i'm the 3rd owner. I guess a couple of Snow Birds (1st owner) use to haul it on the back of their mobile home 99% of the time. The second owner was just the son in law that had it for a few days to sell it.

My daily driver now and it's only 5 miles to work. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine is 99 gv v6 with about 200,000km

just came back from a 2200km trip and will change engine oil tomorrow, btw, i change oil about two months ago. NAPA want me to use NAPA gold oil fillter, but it is more expensive than FARM one, is that really good? what about K&N, the comments said it has never dry start, is that very good? better for winter?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
I don't know much about NAPA filters other than they are allegedly re branded WIX filters (which is a good thing), but FRAM has a bad rep in general. Don't forget Suzuki OE filters. You can't go wrong there if you are in doubt on which to buy.

Here's a good discussion on filters. Also see the Oil Filter Study link within.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/21172-oil-filter-choices.html

Better yet...here is the (redirected) study broken out of the post above:

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

When you do change your oil, be prepared for a bloody mess. The filter is in a terrible location and when you remove it, you'll oil down the entire front end AND you! Slip your arm in to a trash bag first when pulling the filter and the clean-up effort will be lessened. ;)

Have we discussed changing gear oils yet Gopher? :huh:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Especially with the H25 - from what I'm told those engines have issues with oil leaks and timing chains. A friend of mine has an '01 that is always in the shop, and always leaking oil.
Whatever shop he is going to obviosuly isn't repairing the leaks properly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
thanks Max, I changed oil about two months ago, and I got extra trouble

I don't know much about NAPA filters other than they are allegedly re branded WIX filters (which is a good thing), but FRAM has a bad rep in general. Don't forget Suzuki OE filters. You can't go wrong there if you are in doubt on which to buy.

Here's a good discussion on filters. Also see the Oil Filter Study link within.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/21172-oil-filter-choices.html

Better yet...here is the (redirected) study broken out of the post above:

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

When you do change your oil, be prepared for a bloody mess. The filter is in a terrible location and when you remove it, you'll oil down the entire front end AND you! Slip your arm in to a trash bag first when pulling the filter and the clean-up effort will be lessened. ;)

Have we discussed changing gear oils yet Gopher? :huh:

The previous owner who is a lady went to GM to do it. The problem is the tech there put a smaller sized oil filter (ACDellco) on it. This gave me trouble to take it off, as the suzuki wrench just doesn't work! when installing the right szie fram oil filter, i understood why that GM tech used a small one: the normal size oil filter is just too big to put in from engine hood!

what i did was put the FRAM oil filter into a trash bag and hang it from bottom with a rope. :)

for gear oil, i will change transmission oil today, together with transfer and differencial, just the transmission gear oil is quite expensive, CAD$18/lite for 5. i plan to hoist the gv with tire platforms, i feel confident with them to go under the bottom. this is my first time changing gear oil, seems i need to use naked wrench to losen the drain plug and apply some sealant before put it back. i don;t have a torque wrench.

any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
18,249 Posts
Sounds like you've got a plan. ;)

Two different types of gear oil, right? Gl-4 and GL-5 per the manual. The diffs need hypoid gear oil, the x-fer case and trans, not.

I'd go synthetic if in the budget.

See this threads about about raising the front end to achieve the correct front diff level and a special "gun" for filling the sumps.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachments/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/4092d1160931544-differential-manual-tranny-fluid-check-doc1.doc

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006-grand-vitara/17261-replaced-differential-tail-housing-transmission-fluid.html

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Max, after hoisting my gv, i found i need a suction gun

Sounds like you've got a plan. ;)

Two different types of gear oil, right? Gl-4 and GL-5 per the manual. The diffs need hypoid gear oil, the x-fer case and trans, not.

I'd go synthetic if in the budget.

See this threads about about raising the front end to achieve the correct front diff level and a special "gun" for filling the sumps.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/attachments/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/4092d1160931544-differential-manual-tranny-fluid-check-doc1.doc

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/2g-2006-grand-vitara/17261-replaced-differential-tail-housing-transmission-fluid.html

while car is still on two pairs of ramp, i have ordered that gun at NAPA, and will have it picked up soon. today i will change fuel filter as well, it rusted hardly. i will also take off and repaint the pan under gas tank, there are some gravel in between.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 2.0 liter in my 2001 GV limited, I have 145,000 miles, up to now only oil changes, brakes & tires. has been an awsome car. I a timing chain cover oil leak that needs some attention.

·
Registered
174 Posts
good for you! that's a lovely suv. i met an old couple yesterday

you were sitting in their 2001 gv in white color, and they just bought it in Vancouver, really lovely.

I also love my as it is in green color like a military suv, but the previous ower drove it too hard and seldom maintain it, lots lots off road and seldom wash.

i got lots of issues, the more work i do, the more coming. today i just repain one wheel rim.

·
Registered
174 Posts
but this is my weekend project suv, and i learned lot and had fun. after i successfully handled this suv, i might move to a MB G serives, i.e. that brick like one and some for military use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oil filter change

I changed my oil filter from the bottom of the car, and agree that it is a bear to do. Has anybody put an oil filter relocation kit on one of these cars and what kind of experiance have you had with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts