Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I got the third member out of my front differential and installed the spartan Locker into it and everything went together fine, backlash good and pinion pre-load perfect....no thrust washers are used on a spartan and everything is greased up real good.
Now here's the problem, I want to bench test it to be sure it ratchets and i put an axle in each side on the bench and they will both turn the same direction no problem but if i put one of the axles in a vice to hold it steady and try to turn the other axle i can't get it to ratchet or spin at all. I've even tried turning the axles in opposite directions with no ratcheting luck.... from some of the other forums i read they say it's pretty easy to get them to ratchet.
Can anybody familiar with Spartan Lockers help me out?______
I've checked and rechecked myself with the directions form Low range and it is all correct.
The only maybe could be the pinion joint in upside down but the large cross pins all three went in very easily
Help?:confused:
Joe

Low Range Directions
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/downloads/instructions/SAX-SL_Suzuki-Samurai-26-Spline-Spartan-Locker.pdf

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to get back here and give an update on the Front Differential Spartan Locker I installed recently.
After all the negative stuff i heard about putting a locker in the front i have to say i am surprisingly happy with it..... I thought steering was going to be a bear and while it is a little harder it's no wheres near what i was lead to believe it would be. Most of the time i leave the front hubs Free and put transfer case in low when needed it climbs most anywhere like that in the dry desert but just for the heck of it i challenged some pretty good rocky and steep hills and instead of the front tires "Pushing" the big boulders up front they now climb over them like a "Mighty Moe" clicking while turning is more like a thudded click which i thought would be much worse.
I would do it again if need be but if i could afford Air Lockers that would be my choice.
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my install, could you tell me what the problem was with your install and how you fixed it?

Much appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts