Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I got a CB recently, with a Magnet mount Wilson antenna. It's in shipping, but I would like to know your recommendations as far as the antenna routing. I don't want to run it through the roof, and I would like to avoid drilling through the firewall to connect it to power. (I don't have a Service Manual, so I don't know the circuitry arrangement.)

It doesn't have to look pretty, so long as its out of the way when driving :D

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Install a plug on the power cable, plug into cig lighter socket..

Run mag mount through door opening, stick on roof...

....Philip

·
Registered
82 Posts
My CB is powered straight from my fuse box using an add-a-circuit (under $10 at any auto parts store). I believe I ran it off of the dome light fuse so power is always available. The only times I've drilled through my firewall have been for my auxiliary light switch and amplifier power cable. As for the antenna, do you plan to always leave it on your roof? If not, I'd just crack a window and throw 'er up there. Maybe leave it coiled up in the trunk when not in use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been asked time and time again, where is an entry point from the engine area to the cabin through the firewall? My current electrical setup goes through my passenger door, and without a fuse between the engine area and the cabin, begging for a short :p

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
Pull the hood - find where the main harness passes through the firewall - nine out of ten times you can sneak another wire or two right alongside it. Other good locations - accelerator cable, speedometer cable or the transmission selector cable - they will typically all have rubber grommets that you can sneak a cable through, and they will all typically end up in a relatively accessible space under the dash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull the hood - find where the main harness passes through the firewall - nine out of ten times you can sneak another wire or two right alongside it. Other good locations - accelerator cable, speedometer cable or the transmission selector cable - they will typically all have rubber grommets that you can sneak a cable through, and they will all typically end up in a relatively accessible space under the dash.
Thanks fordem, much appreciated!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Unfortunately, routing via a body plug necessitates removing the PL259, then re soldering... This type of install also negates any advantage of the MAG mount (easy removal).

.... Philip

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hello everyone,
I got a CB recently, with a Magnet mount Wilson antenna. It's in shipping, but I would like to know your recommendations as far as the antenna routing. I don't want to run it through the roof, and I would like to avoid drilling through the firewall to connect it to power. (I don't have a Service Manual, so I don't know the circuitry arrangement.)

It doesn't have to look pretty, so long as its out of the way when driving :D
Wilson antenna is an excellent choice for a variety of reasons.
One is bc you can unscrew the PL259 during installation as described here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh0wu96gREU

I would have no problem drilling a hole for it just do it on the passenger side.

Be sure to check the SWR to the radio.

A trunk lip mount would be another good choice for mounting to the hood on these trucks.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Been asked time and time again, where is an entry point from the engine area to the cabin through the firewall? ...
Besides the plug that are currently in use, there is a plug right next to the brake booster (outboard side) that is for the cruise control. (it is easy to see from the engine side.) There are THREE plugs on the passenger side for the AC system. If you have an automatic, there is a plug for the clutch cable, Inboard of the brake booster.

Any of these not is use on your rig, or is it fully equipped?

If I had a soft top, and wanted to install a CB, I'd be thinking of a whip type mounted on the spare tire rack. Maybe with a tennis ball... Haven't seen this stuff in ages.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any of these not is use on your rig, or is it fully equipped?
My rig is fully equipped (its a JLX). I'm not afraid to do stuff to it, I am used to having tech data and parts for what I work on, (I'm an aviation maintenance technician in training). Unfortunately, much of the wiring and electrical practices/standards in my industry are vastly different to automotive.

That being said, the biggest thing is that I try to refrain from anything that is irreversible. I think just making a hole behind the dash to run it and getting a rubber seal will have to do, though I won't rest easy. I guess it's because the mentality of "do what you can to make it work" does not register with me, or the FAA :rolleyes:

I have tuned the antenna, the radio needle shows SWR at about 1.8 channel 1 and 40. Took it on a trail high on a mountain and heard some OTR truckers babbling about Obama :p

Now I just have to put foam around the coax on the trunk to keep the moisture out :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ideally you want to tune it for the channel you will be talking on the most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts