Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a brake master cylinder for a SQ420W-2 RHD , non ABS, but they are very rare and $300 +.
while LHD ones are common and about $60. Can I bend the rear pipe on the left side in my photo to the
right side rear ? That seems to be the only differeence.
I suppose the answer is - no, or they would not have made a different master cyl for the RHD model.
Rightious part # 51100-65D22-000 .
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,581 Posts
Just looking at the picture, I see no reason why it can't be done - you do need to be gentle and not kink the lines when bending them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement- On Mon will see where the pipe ends and see If I can take it off, bend it ,
and then refit it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Old school method to bend a pipe without kinking it is to pack it with sand. Probably not a good practice when bending a brake line tho.

Don't they make bendable brake lines nowadays?

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Old school method to bend a pipe without kinking it is to pack it with sand. Probably not a good practice when bending a brake line tho.

Don't they make bendable brake lines nowadays?
yeah, they are called flexible lines and go between the wheel and the body to allow for suspension travel ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've bent 1/2" copper tubing with sand and with coil benders but brake lines
are maybe too small and the ?grommet at the end will stop the coil going on. Torch maybe.
I now really question why they didnt just re route one of the pipes for the RHD vs LHD
rather than casting/maching a different cylinder. And stocking 2 cylinders instead
of two pipes about 12" long. Who knows ! I'm going to think about this a while :-((

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
you can buy small hand tube benders for brake lines, as long as you are gentle they will bend, biggest tip, bend them gently around a large radius curve.

is the bore that bad on the cylinder you cant hone it and fit a new seal kit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havent opened it up yet. The pedal is just starting to creep when pressed for a long time.
The kits are almost the price of the new cylinder. I suppose because they come with springs,
pistons/rods etc.not just the cup washers. I'll ask around about the bender on Mon.
many thanks

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Either use a proper pipe bender , or attach a short extension of SS tubing to reroute... or hone and rebuild...

Forego the sand method...

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
There is not much to bending brake lines. Look in any auto parts store you will find a variety of lengths, straight as an arrow hanging on the wall. Buy a three dollar bender and fit it as needed or use the bender to reshape the existing. Just remember where to find the replacement if you happen to kink the old one. The pliers type benders run about twenty bucks and can make sharper bends.
I'd go for the $60 unit three or four times and still be money ahead.

My 2 cents.
Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts