Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started a few days ago while driving uphill in 3rd and 4th gear would have a clunky sound like change in a dryer, very random, not a steady sound. the sound would increase when accelerating. now its doing it in every gear only after I engage into gear and accelerate. it sounds like its coming from the transfer case or rear diff but cannot tell for sure. in neutral does not make that sound when pushing the gas. sounds like loose gears or something, and it almost feels like its making the truck bog down a little like its starting to miss? :confused:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
check the oil in the cases for pieces of metal. If you're lucky its just a U-joint or a bearing failing, but There's a good chance you're grinding off gear teeth. Put the Transfer case in neutral and the transmission in drive and see if it still makes the sound. Does it make the sound in neutral while its rolling down the road?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just test drove and not as much sound this morning? yesterday was sounding pretty bad. havent checked the oil yet.
i can only hear it while accelerating like maybe past 2500 rpms then when i shift and when its in neutral the sound goes away, then the sound comes back after shifting into another gear right around the same rpms.
I didnt try putting the t.c. in neutral because it doesn't make the sound when the car is stopped and its in neutal and i rev it. if i rev it in any gear with the clutch to the floor no sound. its only making the sounds driving up hill or when I need to accelerate.
the truck is definitly bogging while going up hill now and it feels like its becuase of this problem but that could possibly be one of the spark plugs building oil:eek:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
with the T-case in neutral, you could run the transmission up with the clutch out. The rear diff and drive shaft won't be spinning so you would be able to rule those things out if you still had the noise with the tcase in neutral.

·
Registered
306 Posts
just test drove and not as much sound this morning? yesterday was sounding pretty bad. havent checked the oil yet.
i can only hear it while accelerating like maybe past 2500 rpms then when i shift and when its in neutral the sound goes away, then the sound comes back after shifting into another gear right around the same rpms.
I didnt try putting the t.c. in neutral because it doesn't make the sound when the car is stopped and its in neutal and i rev it. if i rev it in any gear with the clutch to the floor no sound. its only making the sounds driving up hill or when I need to accelerate.
the truck is definitly bogging while going up hill now and it feels like its becuase of this problem but that could possibly be one of the spark plugs building oil:eek:
That's you're issue. CHECK OIL AND ALL LUBRICANTS BEFORE you do something permanent. wholly jebus.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pulled the rear drive shaft and found rear u joint was busted! was bone dry in one side, busted needle bearings, black powder smelled like one bbq!
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!
thanks for all the great advice!
on to the next...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Glad you found it.At least the U joints arent that expensive and rather easy to change out.Mine was just short of complete failure so now I check them on a regular basis!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Jap u-joints are the best quality, but of the national auto chains, the NAPA u-joints are the strongest.

Make sure that the driveshaft is in phase when you reinstall it. If you don't, it will shake like a fat girl at a barn dance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
that is for sure about getting it installed in the same position you took it off! It will feel like your riding on a wash board!Been there done that,lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Jap u-joints are the best quality, but of the national auto chains, the NAPA u-joints are the strongest.

Make sure that the driveshaft is in phase when you reinstall it. If you don't, it will shake like a fat girl at a barn dance.
If you want longevity get the Grease able U-joints from napa....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts