Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I wanted to share my fuel economy experience with you guys to see if you have any input. It's a 2003 chev tracker 2.0 i4 with 4spd auto. 4wd with 235/75r15 tires. The fuel economy I have calculated has been corrected for tire size differences. I also use a obdII based trip computer for the numbers I have.

At this time I am getting about 15mpg MAX mostly city driving with down to about 12 (yes 12) while in 4wd city driving. CEL is off and the bulb is working perfectly, vehicle is warming up to about 85 or 90 degrees (about -10 C outside) and is entering closed loop operation in a timely manner. Power from the engine also feels good. The only modification done if the 2nd cat (post sensor) has been removed due to rust.

Recently got all new back brakes and wheel cylinders, new front calipers and a new wheel bearing on the drivers side. I think I may need an alignment but that could not result in this type of fuel economy would it? I'm pretty lost here and it's getting to the point where I don't want to drive it. My crown vic with a 4.6 v8 got better fuel economy than this.

Any ideas?? Could be driving a k5 blazer or a powerwagon with this type of mileage!!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
Is the B1S1 switching well without bias, and what is your fuel trim.?

.... Philip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My scanner is not very advanced so I don't have the option of seeing what you mentioned.

I did jack up the front the weekend to spin the wheels and see is there is any drag. About how many times should the wheels spin when spun by hand? it seems that they may be dragging a bit, but that doesn't really make sense because there is 2 new calipers on front. Any other common wear parts in the front brake system that can cause this drag? adjustments? also i checked the tranny fluid, it looks dirty. Could this cause a loss in coasting ability/power loss? Any ideas on a safe way to flush the trans fluid? i hear some ways can damage an older transmission.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
I don't know how much TALLER those tires are (ie the engine has to work over the optimum stock final drive ratio), but you should be able to squeak out high 20 MPG's highway, low 20's city (in stock form). Then again, we don't know how aggressively you drive either. :rolleyes:

I get 23-25 all day in mixed driving on a V-6! ;)

Yes, the missing O2 sensor COULD be knocking the whole fuel delivery system out of synch too. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how much TALLER those tires are (ie the engine has to work over the optimum stock final drive ratio), but you should be able to squeak out high 20 MPG's highway, low 20's city (in stock form). Then again, we don't know how aggressively you drive either. :rolleyes:

I get 23-25 all day in mixed driving on a V-6! ;)

Yes, the missing O2 sensor COULD be knocking the whole fuel delivery system out of synch too. :(
I drive with a fairly light foot, I don't drive a tracker for the speed lol! Both my 02 sensors are there and the engine is running in closed loop. I have 1 cat missing. (downstream)

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
A missing CAT will not affect the fuel consumption.

Without the diagnostic data on the O2 sensors and fuel trim we are rather limited to throwing parts and/or guess work..

.... Philip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to track down a scanner the weekend then and report back here with the data. Any ideas on how many times a wheel should spin when off the ground? mine seem like they don't spin too well.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
I did jack up the front the weekend to spin the wheels and see is there is any drag.
MAYBE a 1/2 to one rotation free rev due to the inherent brake pad slight drag / contact. Add to that the accompanying CV axle rotation to the diff (4WD?) and cold weather / grease thickening of the associated bearings.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Thoughts on the missing cat...

even though there is no downstream O2 sensor, my concern is that without that cat the exhaust temp and velocity is impacted (partial Cat restriction now removed) and that MAY lead to out of normal parameter sensor readings.

I have nothing to back-up that theory, but disturbing the exhaust path may trigger the ECU to think something is up. :huh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the same boat with my 2003 tracker 2.5 v6. We had a check engine light with several codes had to replace the vent valve, one upstream O2 sensor and one downstream O2 sensor (same bank). It runs great and if you kick the transfer case into neutral it rolls easily so nothing dragging...Just changed the transfer case and rear diff oil. The only problem now is we only get 300-350kms per tank instead 600-650...No warning lights no smoke no leaks just can't seem to figure this out...

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Personally,
I would start with a scan of the ECU and see what it sees, ECT, FT, O2 sensor switching with no bias,

.... Philip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.