Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The wires for the horn goes through a steering wheel clock spring.
It is possible the clock spring is causing the issue.
Does horn work all the time in one postion??
And then after being turned, will stop working until the wheel is turned again??
The two horns just stops working again! When I press the two buttons at the steering wheel, they just give me the click and click!!
Probably the steering wheel clock spring is the culprit! Anybody has the partnumbers of that wires?? Or where can I order a new one??

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
The two horns just stops working again! When I press the two buttons at the steering wheel, they just give me the click and click!!
Probably the steering wheel clock spring is the culprit! Anybody has the partnumbers of that wires?? Or where can I order a new one??
Test, dont assume.......

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Test, dont assume.......
The two horns are working as normal. Already removed them to test with 12v battery. The wire between the horn relay under the glove box had been rewired. So Tests already done!!

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Tested the switches? You dont want to know how much that clock spring assembly is.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Tested the switches? You dont want to know how much that clock spring assembly is.
The switches get click, click, click!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Before going to the shop, I decided to check all the ground points in the engine bay, by unbolting them all, the one for the horns is on the right fender next to the airbox, to clean with a wire brush. After bolting back, I start the car and press the horn buttons to my surprise the horns honk!!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for your helps.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
So you hadn't tested everything as per post #23. Like said earlier, test, dont assume.
Glad you found the problem

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well my horn has once again quit although this time no clicks , nothing at all so if indeed the clockspring is to blame, as I have no tools to check with and arthritic hands to play with, I think I will just wire up a remote pushbutton and attach it to the stick shift. Cheap alternative to a costly fix.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mine as well. The culprit is the clock spring! Where can I get that?? By the way do you know the part numbers of the clock spring??

·
Registered
221 Posts
looked up online for clockspring and yes it does exist but is not available and if it was it would be 650.00 US so add in the exchange rate , shipping and labor to install it and I will install a pushbutton on the stickshift where my hand will be wailing on the horn as I shift.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
looked up online for clockspring and yes it does exist but is not available and if it was it would be 650.00 US so add in the exchange rate , shipping and labor to install it and I will install a pushbutton on the stickshift where my hand will be wailing on the horn as I shift.
Is it different from the standard Kick??

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So share your way of the pushbutton and how you wire them??

·
Registered
221 Posts
The sport is a bit different in some things but the clockspring appears to be unavailable for it as each place I look it is listed but not available? Putting a push button switch anywhere I can reach it as fast as possible ( stickshift ) is just a matter of a bit of a clamp just below the knob . Ideally in the knob but I have yet to take it off.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The sport is a bit different in some things but the clockspring appears to be unavailable for it as each place I look it is listed but not available? Putting a push button switch anywhere I can reach it as fast as possible ( stickshift ) is just a matter of a bit of a clamp just below the knob . Ideally in the knob but I have yet to take it off.
Sorry what website you do the search??

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did the Google" the thing "search and came up unavailable ! I now know what it looks like , where it is , and what it does ,rough cost of install, but that is as far as I am getting . If you can find one at the wrecking yard ,you have found something of value..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Today found a professional automobile electrician who repaired the clock spring for the horns of my 96' Sidekick Sport successfully!!

The spring itself does not break. The spring wire at its coupler to the housing get broken loosely. He just welded it. He charged just $10 for the work. Bump both horns work again! No need to look for the new clock spring!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you for the ray of hope. I will assume that it is under the air bag and that if you remove the airbag you could still technically drive whilst the clock spring is being fixed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes, you need to remove the whole things out and then put the whole things back in!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The wire itself of the clock spring would not break. They break at the coupler. A good welder can repair them and when install back you need to calculate how many rounds of the steering wheel to the right and left otherwise the coupler just break again! Mine just do that to the sport model.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts