Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hook the battery charger backwards.. The smoke came out around the battery. Now I have no power to ignition or lights. I check the power at the starter and I have 12 volts. But none at the dash or lights work. What do you think it is or what do I do.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,814 Posts
You need to closely inspect for blown fuses and melted wiring to start with.

You may have toasted the battery to the point of no return as well. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,081 Posts
Hopefully the smoke was nothing more than the fuselink melting. This is the main wiring protection. I don't know if they are still readily available.




Edit- Just re-read my reply and this only applies to the SJ-Samurai, the Jimny (in the UK anyway) would have a regular fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I check all fuses And wires no sign of blown fuses or burnt wires. Battery still has 12 volts.

Tha wire is in the picture will that cause it to not to have power to anything. Also I hook the battery charger to the battery cables on start mold and still had no power to anything.
Thanks for the help.


This is a samurai !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
so i know this thread is a little dated but i am having similar issues.

NO lights no sounds in the cab and on top of that i am blowing the ignition fuse. replaced with a 30 amp fuse for a short time and got some lights and then it blew too

from everything posted on here and what i read about the fusible link, sounds like i don't have one.
someone has wired in a larger diameter wire from the battery to the alternator and white /yellow striped wire with a wire nut...
I do not have the fusible link coming from the battery i have the female connection but not the male from the battery.

my question is if the fusible link wasnt used and that large diameter wire was bypassing something what would be damaged to create a short or ground somewhere. the white and yellow wire what does that power or run to.
please someone tell me its an easy ignition switch or something to replace instead of chasing all the wires looking for it to melt through somewhere.

also i have alot of disconnected wires due to having a weber carb on it not the original so not sure if anything else that either goes to or comes from the ecu is needed or could be causing some issuseS? it ran fine as it was untill the battery fell over and both positive and negative cables came off the battery.

please help.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top