Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 Forenza auto
1. Has anyone vented the hood to obtain better airflow through the radiator?
2. Is there a Haynes or Chiltons for our car?

·
Registered
259 Posts
There were some early guys (might still be around) who had removed a sealing strip at the back of the hood, where it intersects with the firewall. The intent was for the air to be able to exit at the cowl and create better flow. I think they had some luck reducing under-hood temps this way. It does affect the engine bay's seal against water entering if your car sits in the rain.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
i have hood up spacers installed to raise the hood a little by the windshield to help the heat escape the reno/forenza runs hot. never had a problem with water getting in though. i did this on my old honda also. as far as a chilton never seen one but there is an online manual. do a forum search the links been posted a bunch of times

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys
Opening the hood on the Forenza is worse than facing the desert.
I'll keep looking for the online service guides.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Even if water did seep through without the seal, it really shouldn't effect anything. I can't see a clear path for water to drench the plugs or intake, or am I wrong?
It's fine. I drive with no fenders, the cars pretty low, and no spark plug cover. AZ gets pretty bad monsoons this time of year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again,
With the removal of the weather strip at the base of the windshield hood, I would be concerned with the water falling on the computer. Anyone else?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is anyone aware that the space where the windshield meets the hood is a high pressure area?

When driving down the road, the heat of the car is leaving through the open bottom as the high pressure air at the base of the windshield forces itself down into the engine bay.

Not the other way around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is anyone aware that the space where the windshield meets the hood is a high pressure area?

When driving down the road, the heat of the car is leaving through the open bottom as the high pressure air at the base of the windshield forces itself down into the engine bay.

Not the other way around.
The air rushing through the front grill and into the engine bay (and the fans pulling in air when the car is not moving) creates a flow of air in the engine bay which does normally leave the bottom of the car but removing the weather stripping as discussed gives the air and easier way out. Since the hood directs airflow above the base of the windshield and not directly at the base it creates a area of negative pressure which would pull air out of the engine bay. I dont think there would be any problems with water getting on anything while your driving down the road but it looks like it may get on the computer when the car is not moving but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
well iv never had any problem with water getting in. but again i didnt remove the seal i lifted the hood. wich also aids the aerodynamics helping the wind hit the windsheild at an easier angle.. i have a desent link to an easy to understand aerodynamics article ill post later tonight. you guys might find it interesting.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The air rushing through the front grill and into the engine bay (and the fans pulling in air when the car is not moving) creates a flow of air in the engine bay which does normally leave the bottom of the car but removing the weather stripping as discussed gives the air and easier way out. Since the hood directs airflow above the base of the windshield and not directly at the base it creates a area of negative pressure which would pull air out of the engine bay. I dont think there would be any problems with water getting on anything while your driving down the road but it looks like it may get on the computer when the car is not moving but I could be wrong.
I doubt removing the weatherstripping at the back would have many bad affects but i do know that raising the back of the hood does create a highpressure area and has the reverse effect it's supposed to. Its the same principle that the mythbusters discuss on why a truck with it's tailgate up gets better mileage than one with the tail gate down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i think that has more to do with drag of the back of the truck coming out of the bed
i was not refering to the effect of drap but rather to the vortex created when the tail gate is up. Some of the air is trapped in the bed in a vortex. This air keeps air moving with the vehicle lines because it has a higher pressure than the air moving over the top of the vehicle. The same thing happens when air moving across the hood hits the windshield. A small lateral vortex is created where the two meet and creates a pocket of high pressure. Opening your hood forces this high pressure air down into the back of the engine bay. It increases drag on the front. In modern hybrid vehicles the hood and windshield are on the same angle. This greatly reduces this vortex. Raising your hood up just makes this pocket larger and does nothing beneficial.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i was not refering to the effect of drap but rather to the vortex created when the tail gate is up. Some of the air is trapped in the bed in a vortex. This air keeps air moving with the vehicle lines because it has a higher pressure than the air moving over the top of the vehicle. The same thing happens when air moving across the hood hits the windshield. A small lateral vortex is created where the two meet and creates a pocket of high pressure. Opening your hood forces this high pressure air down into the back of the engine bay. It increases drag on the front. In modern hybrid vehicles the hood and windshield are on the same angle. This greatly reduces this vortex. Raising your hood up just makes this pocket larger and does nothing beneficial.
Thank you. ;)

Couldn't have said it much better.

Recessed hood vents in the middle of the hood, offest to the sides, provide the greatest vacuum for heat escape, as that is where the pressure above is lowest, and much lower than the air underneath.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts