Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
they're completely unnecessary on a samurai. If you had a stuffed engine compartment and restricted airflow to flush the air out then you might look into something like that. As it is though, you could fit 2 of your 1.3's under the hood. The extra space provides ample ventilation, and you have cool little side slats to vent the hood that don't let water in ontop of your engine when it rains.

·
Registered
448 Posts
they're completely unnecessary on a samurai. If you had a stuffed engine compartment and restricted airflow to flush the air out then you might look into something like that. As it is though, you could fit 2 of your 1.3's under the hood. The extra space provides ample ventilation, and you have cool little side slats to vent the hood that don't let water in ontop of your engine when it rains.
Interestingly, I was thinking of the same thing, but you make a perfect point in your argument. Never thought of the water thing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know it is not needed.
I am running a 1.6 16v with ac and power steering so wasn't sure.

What should I avoid getting wet under the hood ?
When I need to wash it off I just spray everything under the hood with the hose (low pressure) ... didn't know that it really mattered if the engine got wet. No problems so far but maybe I shouldn't do that any more.... :confused:

·
Registered
448 Posts

When I need to wash it off I just spray everything under the hood with the hose (low pressure) ... didn't know that it really mattered if the engine got wet. No problems so far but maybe I shouldn't do that any more.... :confused:
I believe it is the distributor that should not get wet. Also, spark plugs should be well insulated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One thing that can help is give everything a good spray with WD40. I spray just about everything with it, cap, wires, plugs, back of the headlights, the works. I also wrap a plastic bag around the air cleaner when I clean under the hood.
Oh, and hood louvers are just a really bad idea. If cooling is an issue there are other ways of fixing it. More air isn't it. Think liquid...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing that can help is give everything a good spray with WD40. I spray just about everything with it, cap, wires, plugs, back of the headlights, the works.
...except the belts

I also wrap a plastic bag around the air cleaner when I clean under the hood.
I used the wrap the K&N air charger on my Ford Lightning with plastic too but the Zuki has the stock airbox thanks to the state of CA....

Oh, and hood louvers are just a really bad idea. If cooling is an issue there are other ways of fixing it. More air isn't it. Think liquid...
Cooling isn't an issue now but always thinking of ways to lower temps....
Liquid, huh... as in "Water Wetter" or something like that ??

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts

Low pressure is fine, jet or pressure washing should be avoided on any engine with EFI. Although the sensors and connectors are sealed, it is possible to get water past the seals if the pressure is high enough and then you end up with corrosion, bad connections and sensor failure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
...except the belts

I used the wrap the K&N air charger on my Ford Lightning with plastic too but the Zuki has the stock airbox thanks to the state of CA....

Cooling isn't an issue now but always thinking of ways to lower temps....
Liquid, huh... as in "Water Wetter" or something like that ??
Yea, no belts, brakes, clutch, etc.
Glad I'm not in CA.
Water Wetter would work, but I really just meant don't over engineer things. (and standard coolant does this) It's not an air cooled engine, it's liquid cooled. If things are an issue, there has been threads about rad replacement with a larger or thicker or just a clean out.
Shoot, I even noticed a little drop with a second heater core...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Using a dual core heater helps cool it a lot. Washing the engine off isn't a problem since it is uaually dry by the time you drive it or dries quickly once you've started it up.

Also, never wash an engine off while it is running or is still hot from being recently run. With louvers it can get wet WHILE driving it and cool water running down onto a hot engine isn't a good thing, cracked block or exhaust manifolds come to mind.

·
Registered
192 Posts
many times I wash my engines while they run, but _only_ when they are _cold_. Yea, I'm also not a big fan of cracked anything - blocks, heads, etc. I spray them down with cleaner and let it soak, then start it and spray it down.
I'm not sure why I started doing this, maybe I just did what I watched my dad do it... don't know. Maybe was the old "Gunk" brand degreaser directions...
-And yea, I've used a power washer on my sammy's engine. This is a non computer system and remember, I WD40 everything.
(if I could dunk the entire vehicle in it I think I would) ;)
Oh, and I once thought about mounting heater cores behind those little side vents on the hood. This was years ago when I ran in soft sand with stock gears with 31"s (heavy engine load) and didn't know I had a bad thermo and water pump. But it did seem like a kool idea at the time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sorry that was a typo... another heatercore by the louvers would act like a small secondary radiator, interesting idea. What I meant to type was dual core radiator. The later sidekicks and trackers came with them and they were necessary when they started running the DOHC engines (1.8 and 2.0 liter) those engines DO get hot and without the dual core you'd burn one up in a hurry. Some people have tried transplanting the engine into the samurai using the single core samurai radiator and met with disasterous results.

The 1.6L 16valve engine gets hotter than the 8 valve engines and depending on your location and type of driving, a 2 core radiator might be a good idea. (like desert wheeling in washes and dunes, climbing steep grades through the high desert, or stop and go traffic in East LA)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i've never had a problem with flex hoses as long as they have that coil in them to keep them from colapsing. The radiator can be fitted but you need to modify the brackets and the shroud won't work with your stock fan. You'd need to convert it to electric fans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts