Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The deer came out of nowhere and I couldn't stop or steer out of the way. Bought the Grand Vitara on 2/28/06. I don't think I can repair this and feel safe driving it around. Huge bummer.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Provided the frame rails are true, the tin work can be re/re.. have restored several deer strikes..

Yours appears less injured..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looks repairable if you didn't live in the US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks repairable if you didn't live in the US.
Curious what that means. Walk into any body shop in the states and they are likely repairing worse. I've repaired worse in my own garage with the help of a Porta power and parts vehicle.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
Curious what that means. Walk into any body shop in the states and they are likely repairing worse. I've repaired worse in my own garage with the help of a Porta power and parts vehicle.
A lot of vehicles in the US get written off for less damage than that, the consideration being the cost of the repair vs the cost of replacement, and then you factor in the potential for litigation "down the road" - I've been told once the air bags were triggered, which is a distinct possibility with a frontal impact of that nature, that his insurer will consider it a write off.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm referring more to the ease and value of repairing the car. You'd need to source replacements for the vast majority of the visibly-damaged parts, much easier in countries where Suzuki has a presence and these cars are both popular and hold excellent market value.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm referring more to the ease and value of repairing the car. You'd need to source replacements for the vast majority of the visibly-damaged parts, much easier in countries where Suzuki has a presence and these cars are both popular and hold excellent market value.
Thanks, that's a big hurdle I hadn't considered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been thinking about towing it into my garage and fixing it. Still deciding.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
As long as the air bags didn't trigger it should be repairable, if they triggered, its a new srs module and headaches re coding the modules to get it to start

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as the air bags didn't trigger it should be repairable, if they triggered, its a new srs module and headaches re coding the modules to get it to start
Thanks. I took a better look at it today. It is more work than expected with so many parts pushing against the engine. I am going to unfortunately sell to scrap yard.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Bugger....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts