Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly completely replacing the entire front suspension/drive components... I still have a slight clunk noise when going slow over uneven surfaces (which I can honestly live with), and I have also developed a somewhat new symptom.

I say "somewhat" because prior to the front end work the right (passenger) half shaft had worn out and vibrated/wobbled at 40-45 mph and higher. Immediately after replacing the drive shafts all was calm and quiet, until recently.

Roughly 2 weeks ago I did detect the vibration/wobble but it was so slight, I assumed it was noise from uneven road sections. The vibration/wobble slowly became more pronounced as it intensified. Currently I would describe the symptoms the same as with the old shafts, but now the wobble is stronger than ever before and it seriously sounds to me like the blades on a helicopter chopping into the air. Reminder: symptoms from right side, front, only.

Parts Replaced:
  • Drive axles (both sides)
  • Lower control arm w/ball joint (both sides)
  • Tie rods (both sides)
  • Struts w/bumpstop & bellow (both sides)
I've replaced everything except the rack & pinion and wheel/hub bearings. Potential failure of the wheel/hub bearings is due to sprayings parts cleaner into the exposed bearing assembly before realizing I couldn't properly repack grease inside. The bearings did make a metal on metal noise for a long time. This is why I suspect the wheel/hub bearings as a source of the vibration/wobbled .
Against the bearings as the cause, or a failed part, is the lack of any vertical movement but a fair amount of horizontal play points to the tie rod and/or rack and pinion as the cause.
Please respond with your comments on what I experienced and if you find fault or favor in my theory of a faulty rack and pinion set.

Other comments welcome as well and thanks for your time.

Regards,
Jake
98 Esteem Wagon - 1.6l Auto

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
You need to get it on a rack and confirm all front end components, diagnosing long distance and/or on hyway wont work...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts