Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello peoples,

Quick question that I can't find with the search function,

I recently purchased an 08 GV, with the 4 mode 4x4, 2.7 v6, 67000 Kms. It's a Canadian market beastie, that I love..

I was curious about a high pitch whine that isn't too loud, that increases in unison with throttle input. There is no cel, no performance issues, so far. I've owned it for 3 weeks, and the sound was likely there the whole time, but it is easily drowned out by the radio, or cracking a window. I am curious as to what might be causing it, if it's common on the 2.7, and if I should panic?

Thanks mates,
Kirk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is the whine coming from under the bonnet or inside the car? Could be many things, if its under the bonnet my guess would be idler pulley/s. If inside the car it could be something as simple as a leaf caught in the A/C intake or possibly engine noise through the stereo.

You're best bet is to pinpoint the area the noise is coming from and report back.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im not sure on the fuel system, i have the diesel version so cant compare.

If its in the engine bay, isolate the area its in by using a small length of garden hose etc, put one end to your ear and point the other around the engine bay, you should come across an area where the noise is louder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The whine is only audible when I'm above 50 kph, so I can't really do a proper isolation of it's origin....

Not without a crash helmet anyway...

I guess I'll just live with it until it manifests itself in some other issue, or I'll take it in for a diagnostic run with a tech.

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
One thing you could do without risking a head injury is to check with Suzuki if the vehicle has had the (free/recall) replacement of the plastic idler pulley wheel. If not, get it done anyway since the thing will break eventually.

Maybe make sure the transfer case has good oil in it?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
captainmorbid, hey, you weren't specific about the whine frequency being matched to engine rpm or vehicle speed, only throttle input. Could you clarify?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, I'll try. It isn't tied to vehicle speed, when I let off it gets quieter. If I hold the throttle to maintain a steady rate of vehicle speed, the whine stays constant. If I add throttle it increases. So it is tied to rpm. I've had idlers fail on my previous truck(1999 chevrolet S10, 4.3 vortec) and this doesn't quite sound the same. Which is why I suspected the fuel system.

I have not checked if the GV was subject to the idler TSB, but I'll look into that on Monday.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
...If I hold the throttle to maintain a steady rate of vehicle speed, the whine stays constant. If I add throttle it increases. So it is tied to rpm...
"What" stays constant or increases? Loudness or frequency, as in musical pitch?

Have you checked/replaced your front and rear diff oils?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"What" stays constant or increases? Loudness or frequency, as in musical pitch?

Have you checked/replaced your front and rear diff oils?
It's volume that increases.

I haven't done any maintenance to her yet. I've only put on near 1000 kms so far, and it's been stupidly cold. I'll be digging into this as soon as it warms up.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Although it's only a small chance that it's a diff whine, I would suggest that given the minor expense, have a garage change your diff oils now rather than later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I´m not sure if this applies. But I bought a GV 08 v4 2.0 in 2008, and as soon as I started driving I heard this very same sound, still does it, though I can easily ignore it now. But as far as I can gather, there are these holes on the hood, here we call them breathers, around 4 on each side. I have no clue what the technical terms may be in the US. But I always thought the sound was coming off of those. Then again like I said before I´m just guessing here.

Good Luck, hope all is well with your car!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would think that the fan clutch would make noise when the engine is idling?
When they fail, they not longer disengage at higher speeds. So the fan is whirling away at high speed when it should be disengaged. This makes the odd sound happen at higher speeds, rather than slow or idling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,
I´m not sure if this applies. But I bought a GV 08 v4 2.0 in 2008, and as soon as I started driving I heard this very same sound, still does it, though I can easily ignore it now. But as far as I can gather, there are these holes on the hood, here we call them breathers, around 4 on each side. I have no clue what the technical terms may be in the US. But I always thought the sound was coming off of those. Then again like I said before I´m just guessing here.

Good Luck, hope all is well with your car!
Thanks, I call em hood vents. :)

Must be a Canadian thing... ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
The 2.7 uses a electric fans. No fan clutch.

One possibility for whine noise is the power steering pump and they do sometimes go bad. But you just need to get under the hood and isolate the noise. It should be easy to do, there are only a few possible sources - idler bearings, water pump bearing, PS pump, AC compressor, alternator. It's also possible but unlikely that the serpentine belt is whining.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure it's not just the centre diff whine? I've been told all later model GV's have it and its 'normal'. My 2013 centre diff has whined from the day I drove it of the showroom floor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.