Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently pick up a 93 Sidekick 4door 4x4 16v 5speed, it has a few issues,

First issue was main fuse 60Amp was blown, replaced.

Second found the Alternator was not working, replaced now working.

Third found the Coolant temp sensor broken (the one on the front under the thermostat housing and the indicator not indication any temp. I used IR temp meter it read 175F after letting it idle for 30 minutes with HIGH idle 1500. replaced temp sensor and thermostat. Now I get temp indication on the gauge but only raise about 1/4 way on gauge. IR temp was 180F

Fourth, is the High Idle, first start of day (cold start) I live in Florida (80F) start idle 1800rpm for few second, then drop to 1500rpm and stay there no matter how long I let it idle(turn on AC idle increases to 1700 turn off AC drops back to 1500. I checked for leaks any other thing that was not right. founded EGR Vacuum Solenoid Valves Valve broken, replaced no change in idle, noticed that the ISC had recently been replaced, I disconnected line as in the attached picture rpm surge up them returns to 1500, I pinched closed that same hose with it connected the drop to 800rpm and stay there, turn on AC rpm increases to 950, turn off AC rpm drop back to 800, un pinched the hose and rpm returns to 1500.

Could the ISC be bad, or should I look for something.

Attached picture is from this site.

the person that I got the car form said it had not issues other that the Alternator acting up.

·
Super Moderator
24,450 Posts
As the car is new to you, it is usually a good idea to run a compression test on the engine, to make sure engine timing is correct - it is not unusual for these cars to be timed incorrectly, and if you do the compression test, you take timing out of the equation for whatever other diagnostics you want to do. And also check the ignition timing, too. Plugs should be gapped to .028"

The temperature 'sensor' that you repaired is only a linear wire that connects to the temperature gauge on the dash - it is not connected to the ECU nor does it affect the running of the car in any way. The basic use for this is just to help you notice if the needle is sitting in a place where it has never sat before - mine has sat at 1/4 for 19 years, even though my car warms up properly. The IR thermometer, like you have done, is the best way to check, and, with the 195F thermostat, you should read about 170F or so at the thermostat housing when the car is fully warmed up. Where did you take your reading??? If the ECU thinks that your car is not warmed up (even if it is) it will continue to provide additional air/fuel to warm it up. This is governed by the coolant temp sensor (green connector on side of the thermostat) as well as the intake air temp sensor (black connector next to the coolant temp sensor).

The fact that your idle increases when you turn on your A/C would indicate that the ISC is working properly - this is one of its functions, maintaining idle when there is a load on the engine. Pinching the vacuum hoses with a pliers (other than the ISC hose from the air pipe) should produce no change in idle. If one does, you have a leak on that circuit which may be causing your high idle. When you pinch the ISC hose, you should get a reduction of idle, as happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update
I was driving around, it wanted to stall, rpm dropped to 300, idling rough. Went in to store, when i to start it nothing just turned over, tried 5 times, waited 5 minutes tried again the same, then i pumped the gas petal and started, had to rev it several times to get to idle again at 1500rpm. Temp gauge never moved more then 1/4 away, got home checked the temp with IR temp meter it was 175f.

Help please
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,450 Posts
Pull your spark plugs and see if they are wet. When you try to start the car and it just cranks, try flooring the gas pedal to see if it will start - this stops fuel delivery and will start the car if the car is normally flooding. Under normal conditions, your car will not start this way.
Have you ever checked your fuel pressure??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the temp with IR thermometer right at thremostat housing.

Also i have pinched all of vacumm hoses and the only one the change the idle was the one that when to the ISC.

When it would not start i did put the gas petal to the flood and it started.

i will do a compression check this weekend and look at the plug again, i check them a couple weeks ago when i first got the car, all the plugs are gapped .028 and the plug with were new. Been driving it around a bit, i used a 1/4 of tank of gas and gone about 30 miles, so the gas milage is poor also.

Thanks for the help, i will post up when i complete the compression check.:(

·
Super Moderator
24,450 Posts
If your car is starting with the gas pedal floored, then your car is flooding. This can be caused by bad compression, spark, fuel pressure or lack of air at start up. Compression is a good place to start....;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change of event, friend of mine wanted it, he bought it as is, he planning on doing and engine swap. So I sold it to him.

Thanks for all help.:)

·
Super Moderator
24,450 Posts
Well, that's certainly one way to deal with the problem!! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts