Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Samurai new in '87. It is completely stock and has 60,000 miles. Recently took it out of long term storage to start using it again.
Two problems: Idles at 2200 rpm when hot and surges. Fixed the surging by unplugging the idle up, but can't get the idle below 2200.

Engine runs very strong to redline.
All ignition stuff is new and timing is at 10.
Choke is open, cable has slack, nothing is binding.
Checked and rechecked vacuum hose routing, sprayed for vacuum leaks.
Found crack in exhaust manifold at number 3 cylinder.
Haven't tried adjusting warm idle screw yet.

Any thoughts? This Samurai has needed nothing but regular maintenance for twenty five years.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
check the cold idle plunger on the back of the carb. The plunger articulates when the coolant running through the two lines going into it heat up the wax pellet inside. If the plunger is up (I think) then the idle will be high for cold engine operation. If it's not kicking down and pushing the idler lever when the coolant heats up, then your idle will stay high. This could be caused by a lack of circulation through the coolant tubes, a corroded plunger, or something might be blocking or locking up the idle down.

If it was idling fine before and you didn't adjust the idle , you shouldn't have to adjust the idle screws lower for warm engine operation. That may end up causing the cold idle to no longer function.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts