Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 sidekick 1.6 L 16 valve, auto trans, 4 wd, 4 door
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. I have just purchased my first suzuki and I have been reading about what seems to be a fairly common problem with older suzuki. I have find what was wrong with mine and I wanted to share.

High idle at cold start was caused by a plugged 5/16 coolant hose. the hose runs from the intake side of the throttle body going under the throttle body to the thermal IAC on the throttle body, near the EGR valve. Cleaned and flushed and all is good now. will be flushing the entire coolant system in the near future, The rubber gasket between the IAC and the throttle body was destroyed taking it apart , so if anyone knows where just the rubber gasket can be purchased I am interested , it is siliconed together now and I am not sure that it isn't leaking.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your info. Here is the complete factory parts catalog for your car:
It’s often a good idea to find the factory part number for the part you’re looking for, and then search using that part number.
By the way, note that at cold start, your engine should rev to about 1500 rpm or so, and slowly reduce to factory 800 rpm as the engine warms up. You don’t advise what the cold start high idle was, but there is supposed to be (reasonable) high idle initially when the engine starts from cold.

·
Registered
1994 sidekick 1.6 L 16 valve, auto trans, 4 wd, 4 door
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more info. I was hoping Bex would reply. thank you for all your great insight and knowledge on this forum, I may have read every post you made on this subject and followed your advice closely.
when purchased the CEL was on and read a EGR code. removed EGR and cleaned. cleared code no new CEL. car would start and Idle between 1500 and 2500 rpm and would never throttle down, (warm up) even after 30 - 40 minutes. On occasion it would surge between 1000 and 2500 rpm. All these problems showed up when it turned cold out, below freezing. It was behaving like a large vaccum leak but I couldn't find one. Which lead me to the throttle body and the other IAC valve. while cleaning and reassembling I blew on the coolant hose before hooking it up and no air passed. had to run a piece of wire through it, then blew it out with compressed air and flushed with water. Runs and idles normal now. 1500 at start and over the next couple minutes rpm,s down to 800 to 900, I did mess with the screw that lets more air around the throttle but ended up leaving it pretty much where it was.

·
Super Moderator
25,704 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. You’ll find a ton of info on this forum, when you need it, and hopefully the factory parts catalogue for your car will be helpful as well. To be honest, I didn’t take the time to find the gasket that you are looking for, but it will be in the parts catalogue. Finding the part number will make your search a lot easier. By the way, when looking at the catalogue, the 16v is indicated as 4 valve in the descriptions…..
Enjoy your new car!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts