Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've got a 1991 1.6i Vitara.
In the last couple of month it takes about 4 liters more per 100KM and drives like a dog.
It feels as are 20HP missing.
Replaced the usual stuff (carb. cab / air/fuel filter...)
Had it somwhere to get it checked but at that time there was a leak in the exaust and they said I've got to fix that first. I've fixed it but nothing changed. Could it be a sensor problem ?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might be one of two things. The cheaper of the 2 would be fouled or damaged spark plugs. If the engine vibrates more than usual, perhaps one or more of the cylinders are not firing due to bad plugs. So you'd be burning the same amount of fuel and getting less horse power in return. The more expensive problem would be an obstruction somewhere in the exhaust system. Sometimes rust and debris gets clogged restricting exhaust gases. This results in a dramatic reduction in power and fuel mileage. In most cases, blockage within the catilytic converter causes this and it's going to be really expensive to fix. Best to replace your plugs first since it's the cheaper of the 2. If that doesn't work, your going to have to bite the bullet and fork out some cash to replace the converter. Had a buddy who had this problem. He drilled a bunch of holes in his catiltyic converter to get better exhaust flow. Wouldn't recommend that option because you could face a hefty fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have changed the spark plugs already. Is there any way someone can test if the catiltyic converter is gone ? I just don't want to get a new one and then figure out that it was something else.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found this on the web. Hope it helps.

"Most of the time a bad catalytic converter acts like a governor and limits the engine RPM to a fast idle. To check this, you can perform a vacuum check at idle and then at 1500 RPM. If the vacuum is say 20 inches at idle and like 14 inches at 1500 then the catalytic converter is plugged."

Good Luck
-=Bike42=-

·
Registered
64 Posts
70 mph in 5th i wish :) i can maintain 85mph in 4th but i can barely go 60-65 in 5th with a good tailwind... gotta find the cash to get that 4.3L or a blown 3.8... anyways yeah also missing 20hp? thats quite a lot given the engine at best has 90... also i would check your air filter if thats clogged that could limit airflow, not quite all the powerloss but it could contribute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MY ADVICE. JUST AN IDEA THAT SOMEONE CAN CONFIRM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to test this theory (if it is really the catalytic convertor causing it), can it be removed completely from the exhaust line for test driving the car for a couple of miles? So replace it with a normal piece of pipe for the test.

It may not workout because I may be mising a vital piece of information (like how would the o2 sensors behave?)

Can someone throw light on this subject?

My 4WD 96 sidekick stalls at stops(engine cuts off completely and it has to be restarted) and the mechanic says it is because of a clogged catalytic convertor.

If the above test works somehow, I can ask him to do the same just to prove that it is really the convertor that is causing this issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the engine is set up to run "best" with the cat in place but OE settings prefer fuel and emissions controls over power. Removing a cat from a uk vehicle is an MOT failure as they were required on vehicles after 91 but you can get round this by refitting the cat at mot time but this can be a pain. My 99 1.6i Vitara feels slow but I might just fit a bigger engine and be done with it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm gonna check and see if my 95 16v can run without the cat. Theres no emissions laws here, but if its gonna mess with a sensor I'll leave it alone. Last I checked (when I did a cat-back system) I didnt see any wires or sensors around it. Mine already feels like a rocket. Last I tried it ran a 0-65mph in 7.5 seconds and has no problem maintaining 80-90mph. This on a 4door 4wd automatic with 60lbs of subwoofer in the back ahaha.
Better spark plugs, air intake, cat-back, ignition wires, coil/ignitor and polishing the intake and exhaust out a bit along with syntec oil = wow. Try it sometime! Did it all for under 300$ and it feels like a completely different car!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i never heard of a 16v going 0-65mph in under 12 sec. u must be using rocket fuel going downhill and the wind at your back. man that is fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I'm almost afraid something is really wrong with it. haha
I was absolutely stunned. It doesnt have a whole lot of low band power now but after it hits around 3700rpm BOOM.
In case you are wondering:

Power to the zuks!

PS I apologise for rice-ness. I get spraypaint cheap and high temp ceramic paint cheaper and I don't wanna waste it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
tyqur, can u list exactly what u have done to your kick to get her that fast. i have the same truck as you (bigger tires and lift kit) but i am really interested in exactly what u did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its in the vehicle page but the quick list is:
Thinner head gasket, replaced seals and gaskets that needed it top end, bored out the ports on the exhaust to match the square holes, cleaned and polished inside intake and exhaust manifolds, moved IAT sensor to inline, new air filter, syntec oil, upgraded plugs and wires and coil, ignitor and supressor. Electric fan conversion (from my old camry), cat back 2inch with straight through muffler with mute on (with it off you can feel the backpressure is too low). And replaced almost the entire cooling system with new. Lots of little things along the way like cleaning ISC and adjusting it a slight amount higher (idle at 1000 instead of 800) and some random things like electro-gel on most of the wire connections.
I honestly don't know why it got so fast. We triple checked the time and it came out within .2 seconds each time. So I really can't say. But I am definitely happy about it. The only thing I could possibly blame I think is the thinner head gasket increasing the compression?
I don't know. But there ya go the specifics.

PS I heard the 95 one has different gearings than 92 ones, mebbe that has something to do with it? The differential ratio and im not sure if the 92 had an overdrive, but mines the auto with overdrive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts