Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to forum, interested if anyone else has issue with 2.4 petrol motor fuel consumption, around town I’m getting between 12 -15 litres per 100 km
Any feed back on ideas. Perhaps tune or something , I do try to drive economically.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Manual or Auto?
I drive 2.4 petrol manual, with highway tyres. For city driving with light to moderate traffic, I am getting around 11 litre per 100 km. This figure is from the car dash.

Tell us a bit about your setup. Things such as tyres, roof rack, vehicle lift

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
I average between 12 and 14 round town, 10 on a trip, 2015 2,4 automatic

In old money, thats about 23 mpg to just over 30

I can get it down to under 8 mpg if I try hard.

Don't rely on the dash gauge, thats out by up to 15% ( mine varies depending on conditions between 8 and 20 %)

fill, measure distance travelled and litres to refill and calculate properly

Remember these are heavy and full time 4wd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manual or Auto?
I drive 2.4 petrol manual, with highway tyres. For city driving with light to moderate traffic, I am getting around 11 litre per 100 km. This figure is from the car dash.

Tell us a bit about your setup. Things such as tyres, roof rack, vehicle lift
Ok is 2012 gv prestige , 4 Spd auto, ARB bull bar 10000 lb winch drawer set up in rear , roof bars , not always fitted , has normal road tyres, I do sometimes carry a bit of recovery gear and the air con is on most of the time. But fuel consumption has always been , what I consider high for a little donk.
plus has small tank So doesn’t go far, not that I’ve been driving long distances during covid 19 , in melb
under lock down limited to a 5 km radius and under curfew

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Ok is 2012 gv prestige , 4 Spd auto, ARB bull bar 10000 lb winch drawer set up in rear , roof bars , not always fitted , has normal road tyres, I do sometimes carry a bit of recovery gear and the air con is on most of the time. But fuel consumption has always been , what I consider high for a little donk.
plus has small tank So doesn’t go far, not that I’ve been driving long distances during covid 19 , in melb
under lock down limited to a 5 km radius and under curfew
Ok, thats not bad for that rig, damn good in fact if you're only doing 5 km each way, get out on the open road, cruise set st 100 kph, should be around 28 mpg with that setup, drop to 95 kph you might squeak 30.

1800 kg empty, plus the bull bar and other stuff, not surprising you're getting that mileage

You should get about 400 to 420 km out of a tank before warning light, which is about 7 litres left of which you can use 3.5 to 4.

Ask how I know.......

Reactions: G34

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
My 2012 2.4,Auto 4 Dr Sports gets around 10.5L per 100km sitting on 110kmh on flat open road. Dropping my speed to 95kmh lowers it to 9.5L /100km. That's the best I can get. (I have 3 roof bars and a awning, standard size tyres, no bull bar.)
When towing my 4m tinny on the open road at 100kmh, my figures go up to 12.75L/100km or 13.5L/100km if there is any wind about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rather high fuel consumption seems to be a common complaint with these cars. My findings however are the opposite. I found the dash readout to be about 5 - 6 % optimistic compared to odometer reading (which is accurate) vs amount to fill the tank so will quote my corrected (actual) fuel consumption. I have a 2015 2.4L five door manual GV with the rear seats permanently removed (so car is lighter as they are very heavy), mainly drive in light suburban traffic and after driving all manual cars for 60 years now drive very smoothly through the traffic with as little throttle use as possible and rarely use the a/c. I consistently obtain 9.5 to 10 l/100km consumption and have never been above 10.5. In the country sitting on about 100 - 110 km/h and using 5th gear when possible the consumption drops to 8.5 - 9 lires/100km. Around town the low fuel light comes on after about 500 km and takes 50 litres to fill with at least 10 in reserve. Hence range is between 600 to 750 km if I risked running the tank low. This consumption is similar to the lighter and smaller 2.4 litre 5 door RAV4 I drove previously so cannot complain. I can only presume the auto transmission is not very efficient.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
no, your manual driving style and rear seat removal is a very large contributor along with ac off.

I had a manual 3 door 2.4 and consistently got 9.5 to 10 l/100 km out if it.
If i take it easy, my auto gets 10 to 10.5 on a trip, with ac on.

A/C will add 0.5 l/100 km to the figures. Idling with ac off its using 0.9 litres an hour according to my scan tool, ac on auto mode at 22.5C its 1.1 to 1.4 litres an hour depending on how often the compressor is clutching in

Autos will have some frictional loss but aren't far off a manual when in overdrive with torque converter locked. Effectively direct drive.
Where they use fuel is stop start around town where they are running in their least efficient mode

Remember full time 4wd will always use more fuel than a 2wd car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts