Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved an extra engine and transmission when I bought my '86 Sammy, and he said that it had a knock, So I removed the oil pan and felt the rods and noticed that they had some slack (the bearings are done for) What are those bearings? are they rod bearings? main Bearings? I don't want to order the wrong thing!

Also, All the engines he has given me (about 4 with trans) had Hi Compression Pistons, is there a way to tell if this one has high compression pistons without taking them out?

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
felt the rods and noticed that they had some slack
You are entering a world of exacting measurements and precise parts needs, best left to a competent machine shop.

For instance...you need to determine if the crank is in spec and if turned, what oversize (or standard) connecting rod bearings to purchase.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the technical expertise required here. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For instance...you need to determine if the crank is in spec and if turned, what oversize (or standard) connecting rod bearings to purchase.

what do you mean? I did take the bearings off another block i had laying around (for same sammy) and the bearings off that one were too big for the crank i need.

·
Super Moderator
17,871 Posts
That's my point. One doesn't take bearings from one engine (unmatched / unmeasured) and simply swap them to another crank configuration. :huh:

You have to have the tools and expertise to evaluate and measure the fit needs. :)

Again...technical stuff here. This forum and its members don't have the time nor capability to guide you through all of the steps, nor do you have the tools. It takes on-site training, book learning, assistance from a knowledgeable friend or outside shop services to perform these exacting engine related repair tasks.

If you don't take my advice, you are doomed for failure from the get-go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts