Suzuki Forums banner

Hidden Winch Mount?

14K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Donewrken 
#1 ·
Slowly getting my projects completed and I'm ready to start the next. I have a small ATV winch that I'd like to add to the front end to lift a snow plow. It will not be used for off-road recovery, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this without having suggesting I add a gigantic winch bumper. I'd like to place this little winch behind the factory bumper and use a roller fairlead to assist with lifting the plow. Wondering if anyone has tried something like this with a 15-2500 ATV winch?

#2 ·
This is how my winch ended up, it's the HF 5,000

and the bumper.

I used 3/8" flat bar across the frame for the mount.
Be sure to upgrade the solenoid prior to using, it will save you from needing to replace them later, they come with ones that are not of the best quality.

Don

^_^

#3 ·
Don....why didn't you put a bit of tube in the chassis rail to stop it crushing?:huh:

#5 ·
Why am i now imagining a land rover called "the antichrist" hanging from a tree in a movie called "the gods must be crazy"

#6 ·
that's pretty much what I imagined in my head I would do, but hadn't seen any pics as examples. One of my favorite movies, for sure

#7 ·
Don....why didn't you put a bit of tube in the chassis rail to stop it crushing?

So much for notification on posts!!

The picture was taken without the hook connected to the eye, so it's not crunched.

(at least he didn't ask me why I don't have the new winch line on)

Now you need to hang it on a tree to show how well it works.
Added to my to do list. :lol:

in a movie called "the gods must be crazy"
I loved that movie!!!
Poor guy, can't imagine the pressure he was under to return the ,
you know, the thing the gods dropped on him. LOL!!

One of my favorite movies, for sure
Good taste in movies.

Ranks up there . . . .

Don

^_^

#8 ·
So much for notification on posts!!

The picture was taken without the hook connected to the eye, so it's not crunched.
look at the left hand chassis rail Don, its squashed, thats what i was on about, where your mounting for the winch plate is attached. I would have a tube inside the rail to stop that happening.

#9 · (Edited)
Oh, that squished.
Yeah, as you can see there is no nut on the bolt either, it was just a progress picture and the frame rail was re-shaped, tube fitted to the ID.
Then bolted up.

Keen eye!!

Thanks

There was a repair done prior to me getting the Tracker.
The plastic bumper was split and the metal behind the plastic was "repaired" by welding it together using a piece of re-bar for the filler.
It was news to the seller also, I found it when I went down and picked it up while attaching the tow bar.
He took out his phone and took a picture of the re-bar, he was as impressed with the repair as I was.

Don

^_^

#10 ·
Oh, that squished.

there is no nut

Keen eye!!

Thanks

Don

^_^

well we all know you're nuts so I didn't mention that bit.

Someones got to mention the damaged bits otherwise people will think thats how its supposed to look. Just keeping you honest is all.

#11 ·
New winch controller, mounting plate, and solenoid arrived in the mail last night. Probably not gonna get it done just yet as I have a camping trip this weekend followed by surgery. Thanks for the idea!

#12 ·
Enjoy the trip
and best wishes with the surgery.

Glad your doing the solenoid swap, it'll be worth it.

Don

^_^

#14 ·
Don,

that is exactly what I plan to do once my face recovers from surgery. Thanks

#15 ·
So I'm all recovered from surgery (almost) and had some time to install the winch just before Winter arrived here in Montana. For the record, Glacier National Park got hit with 36in of snow in 12hrs on Sunday......

My factory AC is still fully functional and I have no intention of removing it, so that complicated my winch install leaving me less room to work with. I ended up welding some 4in angle iron to the hook brackets that bolt onto the front of the frame. This made my winch protrude from the bumper a smidge, but was the best I could do until I fab up a replacement front bumper. I'm not in a big hurry to do that as I prefer the factory look over a rig that is obviously heavily mod'd.

Ordered a 72in plow and a mounting bracket meant for Honda UTV. I chose this model because it was a front mount, not an under-body mid mount, and it had wider spacing in which to attach the plow. Had to do some mods to the bracket and welded it to the winch bracket that I had previously mentioned. This was the only way to clear the steering components and the leaf springs/shackles. My welder is a Chinese special and won't quite burn as deep as I'd like on this thicker 3/8in material, so I bolted everything as an extra precaution. Once cooled, I sprayed it with some bed liner material I had laying around. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The controller is mounted on my gear shift, so its about as one-handed of an operation as it's ever going to be. Unlike the UTVs, I'll have heat and full protection from the wind whenever I'm plowing! Once Spring arrives, I can remove the winch and the bracket will hardly be noticeable. It doesn't hang down very far.

Auto part Tire Vehicle brake Automotive tire Wheel

#16 ·
Glad your recovering from your surgery.
Never a fun thing. . . . .

Crazy weather, sounds like it's going to be a long winter. Were dipping down to 31 tonight from 45 last night.

The mount seems to fit well, you'll be warm and toasty for sure.
Good job.:thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing the plow all mounted up.

You could fab a bumper from 12 gauge sheet, it will be for looks though.

Don

^_^

#17 ·
Bumper is attached, just wasn't included in the pics from last night. Plow is mounted and have already had offers for my rig from the head of our maintenance department at work. I politely told him its not for sale. You know you've done something right when your wife takes one look at it and says....."now, that's bad azz!"

#18 ·
:sunce::clap:

Yeah, that's definitely a good thing!!

Congrats.

and for making the boss jealous!!
LOL!!

Don

^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.