Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 97 GEO Metro LSI and I'm getting it ready for a daily driver for my grandson. It has a solid body and a decent interior, less the head liner, I've got the engine running quite well, new tires etc. However there is a big issue that must be corrected before I allow him to drive it. The left and right rear doors will not open. Using the outside handles, it as if the door is locked. Trying to unlock from the inside...the lock levers won't move. I've read somewhere that it may have something to do with "child safety locks." What am I dealing with here? I need to get them working, any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Norm

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
look at the end of the lock mechanism, there will be a small lever you usually have to move with a screwdriver to disable the child safety locks that prevent anybody inside opening the doors. This pics a pretty universal one showing the lever, and key style ones

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
The employment of the child safety locks should not inhibit opening from the outside, provided the door locks are set to open..

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
The employment of the child safety locks should not inhibit opening from the outside, provided the door locks are set to open..
I agree, outer door locks should work all the time, but I have had mine jam up if the lever gets dislodged towards the position between the lock or free positions.

Are the doors actually unlocked? does the lock lever on the inside of the door move freely? can you feel it moving the lock mechanism when you move it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look at the end of the lock mechanism, there will be a small lever you usually have to move with a screwdriver to disable the child safety locks that prevent anybody inside opening the doors. This pics a pretty universal one showing the lever, and key style ones

View attachment 94972
Thanks for the reply. I could do that if I could open the doors. My car has no electric locks, all manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. The doors appear to be locked. The inside lock lever will not move. I believe I will have to disassemble something. I thought a "slim Jim" might be the answer????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, outer door locks should work all the time, but I have had mine jam up if the lever gets dislodged towards the position between the lock or free positions.

Are the doors actually unlocked? does the lock lever on the inside of the door move freely? can you feel it moving the lock mechanism when you move it?
Thanks for the reply. The doors appear to be locked. The inside lock lever will not move. I believe I will have to disassemble something. I thought a "slim Jim" might be the answer????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts