Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank you for the introduction to this forum. I am the owner of a 2005 Suzuki Verona that has a thirst for oil, about 1 quart for every 300 miles or so; I'm hoping a PCV valve replacement will help matters some. I know there is a leak in a gasket somewhere as well. I suspect it is the valve cover gasket so this will help explain some of the usage. I have plans to tighten the bolts it, I hope this will decrease the leakage. I also have a problem with a heavy smell of coolant but very little of it is being used/lost and there is no trace of 'milkshake oil' or any other telltale sign of a head gasket problem. Engine couldn't run cooler, etc.
Any suggestions are welcome. I'm in a bad spot right now and I really don't have the money to go on a fishing expedition at the repair shop.
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you smell coolant inside the cabin, at the exhaust pipe or other?
You should have plenty of oil drips under the car if using a qt oil ever 300 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you smell coolant inside the cabin, at the exhaust pipe or other?
You should have plenty of oil drips under the car if using a qt oil ever 300 miles.
I the cabin when the recirculation button is turned off, occasionally I can smell it outside the car after a deceit drive. I tightened up the reservoir coolant cap yesterday, real tight, and that seemed to have an effect. But now in saw light smoke coming from under the hood after my drive to work, a first. I'm also sure there is plenty of oil caked on the engine. I can see the oil residue from under the right side of the engine when parked. When I got my oil changed the other day the I asked the techs to take a look, they said it was coming from the valve cover seals, although because it was coming from up to it was hard to say that was the only place it was leaking.
I was quoted a price of around $430 for the repair, seemed a little high.
Luckily, the car runs cool and doesn't loose coolant so the head casket possibility doesn't seem to be there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Duner,
I wonder if a radiator stop leak additive will help? Looked at the net and saw radiator flush videos, interesting but I don't think that will be of any help. It's always provided plenty of heat. If the stop leak doesn't help then I will have to bypass it. BTW, in looking back I think I've noticed a slight cloudiness on the windows.
I think I will learn a lot about cars before I can get around to replacing this one.

·
Super Moderator
17,579 Posts
Stop Leak is an interim fix at best, with the additional potential side effects of coating and clogging the radiator, impeding cooling and efficiency causing overheating. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Max,
I just got back from putting in K-Seal in the reservoir tank and driving around with the heater blasting. Seems to have done the job, for now. I thought about clogging issues but the radiator is about 1 years new so I figured I'd take the chance. So far so good. Couldn't stand that smell anymore. Will keep you updated.

·
Super Moderator
17,579 Posts
That's good and I wish you well, but be observant after time, hot weather and A/C needs kick in. ;)

Your oil loss is another (leak) matter though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts