Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the VA Boise Medical Center and was at a stop sign waiting to get on the main access road in rush hour traffic.
One of the hospital staff bumped into the right-rear bumper, and it did not appear there was much damage. The staffed said she could throw some money at me, but refused to give me her insurance information.
Was not in gear, had the brake on.

So, on the drive home, in second gear I started to notice some hesitation - or a momentary loss of power. Not exactly sure how to describe it other than I not had it eve before. Also had the clutch pad replaced a few months prior ($600).

Next few days if I would take off on a cold engine the car would bounce when I accelerated. And was really apparent when I took right turns, though does do it on left turns (seems I make more rights than lefts). And does this more when I do not let the car warm up.

Put some fuel injector/fuel line cleaner in, half a bottle of a Gumout brand, and filled the tank up. Have driven about half the tank now, and though the issues are not as bad they are still there - not as prominent.

Took the car down to an automotive shop and the technician has been driving it around and barely got it to act up. Seems to be less apparent now that we're warming up in this part of Idaho.

Am curious if anyone has an idea what could be going on here, or if they had similar issues?

As far as I can tell this vehicle, 98' Esteem GLX has no Mass Air Sensor, and cannot find any other fuel filter. According to what I read online the only stock fuel filter is on the fuel pump itself, which is in the tank.

Looked around and did not find anything out of place or leaking, but am unable to get under any vehicle - claustrophobic issues. :eek:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
sounds like the bump in the back has shaken the stuff up in the tank and probably either clogged the filter, or the pump. Only way to tell is drop the tank and remove the pump and filter assembly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got car back from the mechanic. He said my car does not like him, as him nor his other mechanic were able to get the car to act up. They pulled the spark plugs, things are okay there. They check the fuel pressure, and good there as well.
They both put on about 40 miles driving around town and they detected no issues.

Mechanic said it is like chasing a ghost. They sent me home at no charge, and they even tightened the alternator belt at no charge as well. They said would be $35 normally but they were not going to write up a ticket for $35.

Cone's Automotive in Ontario, OR has been, by far, the best auto repair shop I've found.

Soon as my friend gets back in town will see about getting the tank dropped, then check out the pump & filter.

When I out a computer diagnostics tool on the connector it came back with 0 DTC, and a few sensors were lit up.

A while back a friend hooked up a timing light to each coil wire. One of the coil pack wires was not always firing, and my friend suggested that could be an issue. So have been considering ordering a used coil from a car-parts.com.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
if you have an intermittent coil pack, this will certainly give the symptoms you are experiencing. Change the coil pack first, its a lot easier than dropping a tank and getting to the pickup and filter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts