Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaf sprung zook with 5 inch snake racing lift, i want to put at least 33 inch tyres underneath the little girl!!! My issue is obviously tyre clearence and scrubbing. How can i come across this (apart from a little grinding).
your ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers...monstazuk..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You can move the front axle forward an inch or so by redrilling the perches.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
with a 5 inch lift you'll clear 33's without much work to the fenders. Your problem is going to be the front bumper. The bumper needs to come off and the tube behind it nees to be cut to clear the 33's. It's advisable to hammer down the flange inside the wheel well too. It's a 1/2 inch lip of sheet metal that will cut nicely into a tire if pushed hard enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info.... another question though, because the tyres are 12.5 inches wide i believe im going to run into trouble when i steer left or right and i'm not gonna have that same turning circle......

also how the hell do i get back to this thread without going through my email account? im having alot of trouble navigating this site????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont you think wheel spacers will just make the problem worse? i thought of doing this i still will anyway so the car has a bit bigger stance and is a little more stable......

im thinking even with a 1.5 inch spacer its gonna make it worse

·
Registered
24 Posts
dont you think wheel spacers will just make the problem worse? i thought of doing this i still will anyway so the car has a bit bigger stance and is a little more stable......

im thinking even with a 1.5 inch spacer its gonna make it worse
Best solution in the long run would still be a fender trim. Trying to avoid the scrubbing by going higher and wider would just compromise your drivetrain or suspension not to mention your center of gravity. The fender trim will allow you to put in bigger tires and have a lower center of gravity.

One other alternative is to go for thinner tires with the wheel spacers.

Are you on a reversed shackle setup?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
he has leaf springs, not coils.

With leaf springs, you have the problem of the tires cutting into them if they are too large. If you bite into a leaf with the wheel cranked over while in 4wd, you can walk the wheel right up over it and snap the axel, birfield joints, and steering linkage. Its not pretty.

With 33,12.50's you will have light rubbing at full turn. with a spacer, or wheels with a smaller backspacing, you will eliminate that. You're only going to increase your turning radius by a few inches, more than worth the extra stability of a wider stance IMHO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
he has leaf springs, not coils.

With leaf springs, you have the problem of the tires cutting into them if they are too large. If you bite into a leaf with the wheel cranked over while in 4wd, you can walk the wheel right up over it and snap the axel, birfield joints, and steering linkage. Its not pretty.
That's why I mentioned thinner tires and wheel spacers. A backspaced wheel would also help as you mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahhh complications, complications!!!!!!!!!!!
ive told myself i want 33's and i'm gonna stick to it, i'm suzuki mad so you no money isnt an issue!!!
and yes it is a reverse shackle set up, go onto snake racing website and look at the 5" lift set up if that helps.
im just gonna order the tyres and go from there..........

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
a set of wheels with 2 or 3 inch backspacing would be a good thing to order when buying the tires. You could use spacers, but bolt on spacers are almost as expensive as a set of rims. The spacers you just stick on like a shim are hazardous at best. The short lugs may not provide you enough area to safely bolt your wheels on once you stack a 1 inch spacer over them.

I have a 5" RS lift and the first tires I used with it were 33/12.5s. 2" backspacing, no rub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts