Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 Samurai, and I need/want to know what lift i would need to install or get installed. After that, I would like to get rid of my stock rims and replace them with larger size tire. The whole zook is stock, from what I know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
what do you want to do with your Sami ?
are you building it for off-road, on-road, or both. If "both" what percentage of on-road. As in, is it going to be your daily driver ?

Here are a few places I deal with and they have helped out alot :
- Trail Tough Welcome to the Trail Tough Products
- Petroworks PetroWorks
- ZOR Zuks Off Road - Aftermarket add-ons for Suzuki Samurai, Suzuki Sidekicks, Geo Trackers and other 4-wheel drive vehicles.

These places either people love them or hate them. I've had good and bad service from both:
- Low Range Low Range Off-Road - Your One Stop Shop for Your Suzuki 4x4 Off Road Parts
- RRO Suzuki Samurai Parts Headquarters!!!

I would also suggest cruising around multiple forums to get a wide range of answers from numerous people. Nothing better than before well informed before spending your hard earned cash.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The main purpose of a lift is to accommodate larger tires. Your tire size needs will be determined by what you want to do with the vehicle. With larger tires, the vehicle gets still taller, and it's already a high-profile vehicle. Highway handling tends to deteriorate as you apply increasing values of lift. Larger tires usually require a change in gearing and wider rims. There are a lot of variables here. Some kinds of lifts work better than others.

This is a very popular subject and has had much discussion over the years. You could benefit greatly by searching on your desired items and learning from other's experiences.

Stock tires are 205/70R15 and 26.3" (or so). A minimal lift of about 2-3" will get you onto 30" tires. At 9.5" wide, they'll still fit within the fender flares, for states like mine (CA) that require this. You'll likely need both wider rims and re-gearing.

As an example, I'm on 235/75R15 (29") tires on 7" rims and 4.16:1 transfer case gears. I have a ~2" lift consisting of OME aftermarket leaf springs and HD 3/4" shackles (3/8" lift). My new tires just clear the front bumper with a only small amount of trimming. All this comes at a cost. Price out the various parts of the upgrade and you'll see. One thing we all find is that planning for the future can save money in the long run. Also consider reliability. Larger tires, wheels, etc. usually increase stresses on the drivetrain. You'll be replacing items like bearings and U-joints more often. Another thing to consider: stockers are becoming hard-to-find and may command a premium when it comes time to sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your advice, and I am an everyday driver, that has lots of fun on the weekend already with off road stuff, but i wanna start doing more challenging stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts