Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
i recently bbought myfirst jimny and i want to buy a 2x2.5 m awning but im not sure how to go about attaching it. Im not sure weaher i need to buy a roof basket or if i can attach it without one and if i can attach it without a basket how i would go about it.

Cheers Jackson

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
Jackson, I'm thinking that a 2x2.5m awning might be a little too long for a Jimny - and - you're going to be in for a loooong climb if mounting an awning challenges you. The awning bolts to any vertical surface, it could be the side of a roof basket, or to two simple L brackets that bolt to a roof rail or crossbar - I mounted mine to L brackets alongside the roof basket, that way I can have either the awning, the basket or both on the vehicle at any one time.

First - does your Jimny have roof rails?
Second - did the awning come with mounting brackets?

Google awning brackets and look at the images, you'll see lots of different ways it can be done, pick the one that best suits you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for the reply, i havnt bought the awning yet, what size would you recomend for a jimny ? and yes it came wih roof rails.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I assume your Jimny has the roof rails fitted as standard. I would think you would need some roof bars to go across these for the brackets to fix to.
As regards the length I would assume from the back of the roof to whatever is stable past the windscreen. You may have to ask the supplier how much is OK past the front bracket unsupported. You don't want it wobbling about !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply, it came with racks going across, I think I'll do some research on how far it can come past the windscreen, thank you for all the help :)

·
Super Moderator
12,103 Posts
I have a 2 metre awning on my GV, which is a 5 door, I would not want to put that one a 3 door GV, and the Jimny is smaller than the 3 door GV, I'm thinking a 1.4 metre awning would probably be best.

If you have cross bars, something like this ...

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Thank you for the reply, it came with racks going across, I think I'll do some research on how far it can come past the windscreen, thank you for all the help :)
I have the 2 Meter awning on my 2 door tracker. You can see in the attached pic how far it sticks forward of the windshield. You cant see the rear in the pic, it extends about 6 inches from the back of vehicle.

I have the Calmini roof rack on my car, it bolts together in two sections on the risers. I used angle iron to attach the awning to those risers. In the attached pic you can see the front riser I used on the far side of the pic.

Here in Arizona the shade is precious to us. I would not have wanted an awning any shorter in length. I have had the awning on there for 3 years now with plenty of highway and off road usage without issue. But keep in mind that as Fordem mentioned the Jimny may be a little shorter.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the replies and help, I might do some more research before I make a decision so I don't rush into it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts