Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Only had this tracker for 3 days and every morning i can't shift it and it gets stuck in whatever position i left it in the night before, yesterday i had to let it run and drive it around in 1st gear for 20min until i was able to shift it properly, i am thinking there is probably water freezing somewhere causing this but where?.......has this happened to any of you?

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
Have you checked the quality and level of the gear oil? :huh:

You are probably a good candidate for a Synthetic oil up-grade.

Differentials and Transfer Case too (as applicable), if you have no maintenance records to support your new acquisition.

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
It's feasible.

Is this a 4WD maybe known to have been off-road? (stream fording / water intrusion?) :huh:

If not, then "humidity" is probably not the cause. Old and thick oil, yes. Maybe the wrong viscosity from the get-go? Hopefully nothing more.

Try RedLine, if your further investigation shows a change need. ;)

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,670 Posts
There was a report a while ago of water puddled in the shift tower, then freezing...!

..... Philip

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem, theres a small rubber boot that hooks on to the top of the transmission to keep water from going down and its ripped , the mechanic stuff it with grease and said i should be good for a bit. No to try and find that part....

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Let me save you the search - the boot (which is called the #1 shifter boot) is only sold with the entire shift lever assembly.

Yes I think it's ridiculous - now - measure the outer diameter of the shift tower and go find a steering rack boot where the narrow part of the pleat will just slip over the shift tower, cut the excess off, lube the end with dishwashing liquid, slip it over the shift and secure it around the tower with a tye-wrap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts