Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the radi cracked and i replace it, fan locked up, replaced it, well over heating thought i was a t stat so i changed it out, the gauge was all over the place and i changed the sensor.

now it going up to hot on the gauge and then coming back down to where it norm is. its doing this about once a week any ideas?

water pump is pushing water throw like it should when i put a presser tested to it as i go up in rpms it goes up the presser gauge does not bounce at all. and raises 5 pis a 2000 rpm

its a 2005 forenza ex

·
Super Moderator
12,339 Posts
How are you determining that it is overheating?

Running hotter than normal is not necessarily overheating - it maybe attributable to specific operating conditions that exist at the time of occurrence and perfectly normal - just as an example a 4WD climbing a hill in L4 is going to run hotter than normal due to a combination of increased engine load & reduced forward speed (which reduces air flow through the radiator).

The rise and subsequent drop you describe suggests a thermostat not opening - how much time elapses between a start from cold and this rise & fall?

It may be necessary to get an infrared thermometer (or similar) and measure the temperatures at the outlet elbow (or radiator inlet) to determine what is actually going on.

·
Super Moderator
17,812 Posts
And make sure that you've burped all of the post repair AIR out of the system. Run the heater, make sure that the rad is topped off, and the recovery tank is at least half full. Check those parameters a few times after each coolant system heat up and cool down cycle.

If problems persist, start with replacing the rad CAP. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its taking 15-20 min at 1500 rpm to get to temp then it take another 20-30 min before it starts" overheating" its got to the hot line and set there for like 1-2 min then goes back down.

i bleed the system with the cap off until the t-stat opened and i watched the water go down in the bottle.

i flushed the system to day by placing a garden hose in the 5/8 hose that comes out the bottle. and removed the t-stat and turn the water one till it ran clean. then drained the radi and put new coolent and t-stat in it. and it seems to run fine now but idk

·
Super Moderator
12,339 Posts
So many questions remain unanswered - I hesitate to ask more - what are the fans doing in the 20~50 minute period? At what point do those turn on?

One of the vehicles I owned many years ago would not turn the fan on until the temp gauge was a hair away from the red, at which point the fan would come on pull the them rapidly down to mid scale and switch off, and the cycle would then repeat - and it would only do under two circumstances - in heavy traffic, which was basically every day on my way back to work from lunch, or when used on a rally route, which entailed a fair bit of high rpm, low gear, low forward speed travel (similar to the 4WD in 4L I mentioned previously) - on the open road it ran flawlessly.

My solution was to add a manual over-ride switch - if I hit heavy traffic or when running a router - I would just flip the switch and bring the fan in.

More questions - are you running with OE replacement fan(s) - or are you using one or more generic replacements? Are the fans wired the same way, controlled (switched on/off) the same way, capable of moving the same volume of air?

For what it's worth - I'm not seeing the evidence that the vehicle is overheating - you mention 5psi - I'd expect a lot higher than that with the engine up to operating temperature, you mentioned changing the temp gauge sensor - are you using an OE sensor?

What's the possibility you're looking at a gauge that is giving you an incorrect indication because of an unmatched sensor?

Did you notice my first response suggested you might need an infrared thermometer - that - or a properly calibrated gauge is the only way you're going to know how hot your engine is getting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fan come on and off more to the 30 min and every thing i have replaced is OE replacement.

i have put my shop's big scanner on it and i never seen it go over 215. but flushing it seemed to do it she has put 60 miles on it and it never over heated but i think i might add a switch just to give me a pace of mine for her

1 - 6 of 6 Posts