Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in desperate need of some help and advice. My 1997 Suzuki Escudo 2.0 is currently in the mechanics with an engine that keeps "stuttering" under acceleration. They believe they've narrowed it down to the cam sensor at the back of the engine, they've asked if I can find the part and I was wondering if any of you would be able to help? I've been scouring the internet but between all of the different makes and models I have very little faith in my own ability to reliably source the part. ?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

All the best,

Luke

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
Go to megazip.net or partsouq.com, enter your Escudo's chassis number and then navigate your way to the engine electrical page - you should be able to purchase the part from both sources.

Before you invest in a cam sensor, I suggest you replace the coil pack "lances" - the rubber piece under the coil that connect the plug to the coil. Does your Escudo have a four cylinder engine or the V6?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,798 Posts
Before firing parts at it find a mechanic the can diagnose properly, " They believe they've narrowed it " is not a diag, it is a guess at best...

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
Welcome to the Leeward Islands of the Caribbean Phil, where the total population is often less than that of a small town in Canada, and where finding a competent, well equipped mechanic can be quite challenging.

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
I am well aware of small island living, I obtained my love of things mechanical while a child (8 -15 yrs old) living in the middle of the Mediterranean, where the mechanics used hammers and chisels, as opposed to spanners.

I was lucky to have access to the naval dockyard where I borrowed tools and asked for advice...My first engine rebuild, at 12 was accomplished using a Nation Geographic laminate book...How an engine works...

Any hard part needed, had to be ordered and shipped via Royal Navy from the UK, so I learned to be precise.. Soft parts were produce by hand... Gaskets (corn flakes boxes) ect..

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
Things were different back then Phil, cars were simpler, there were no cam position sensors and distributorless coil-on-plug ignition systems, they had distributors with breaker points that needed to be periodically filed (or replaced) & adjusted, and don't forget that pesky condenser - when that failed, you would get a spark, but so weak that the engine would run poorly, if at all.

Back then it was common to do a "tune up" and replace the points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs & plug leads, all items that slowly wore out - those plug lances I suggested be replaced - they are the equivalent of the plug leads, and known to cause misfires under acceleration.

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Things were different back then Phil, cars were simpler, there were no cam position sensors and distributorless coil-on-plug ignition systems, they had distributors with breaker points that needed to be periodically filed (or replaced) & adjusted, and don't forget that pesky condenser - when that failed, you would get a spark, but so weak that the engine would run poorly, if at all.

Back then it was common to do a "tune up" and replace the points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs & plug leads, all items that slowly wore out - those plug lances I suggested be replaced - they are the equivalent of the plug leads, and known to cause misfires under acceleration.
You missed the point, I was 12, with no training, no manuals, but lots of desire..

Yes, thing are different... I now have the tools and training.. and try to pass it on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts