Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Thanks for reading. I need some help with my buddies 2001 Grand Vitara JLX. It will not start no matter what we try. It sounds like there's an air leak coming from the back of the fuel rail yet we aren't pulling any codes on the obd scanner. It turns over but will not start. Next step is to check for spark and compression because we've got spark. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
-Thump3r

·
Administrator
17,793 Posts
Air, fuel, fire - you say you have spark (fire) - do you have fuel? Try spraying starter fluid into the intake whilst cranking - does it start & run on the starter fluid?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,520 Posts
What were the circumstances leading up to this issue ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air, fuel, fire - you say you have spark (fire) - do you have fuel? Try spraying starter fluid into the intake whilst cranking - does it start & run on the starter fluid?
Checking everything again; I've got power going to the coils but no spark? They're new plugs that are gapped correctly. Crank positioning sensor issue maybe?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And still no go with starting fluid. Even trying to put a little gas in all cylinders then trying to start it yields no results

·
Administrator
17,793 Posts
It's beginning to look like you're out of your depth ...

What do I mean by that - post #1 says you have spark, which was why I suggested you try starting fluid, post #4 says you have no spark, post #6 says no go with starting fluid - the idea behind starting fluid is to determine if there is a fueling issue, but if there is no spark, then there's no point in trying starting fluid, and if you haven't figured that out, then your buddy is in trouble.

Let's start again from the top - post #1 says you have spark - do you or don't you?

Next - does the check engine light come on when you switch the ignition on? Exactly what does the scanner tell you when you check for codes?

Reactions: Thump3r94

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,520 Posts
Checking everything again; I've got power going to the coils but no spark? They're new plugs that are gapped correctly. Crank positioning sensor issue maybe?
Crank position sensor signals miss fire info does not affect the ignition.. If you have the equipment you need to test the CAM sensor as that signals the ignition...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe random, but...ask your buddy if he has an aftermarket security/starter system installed (especially if it was recently installed).

As for no spark, please detail how you determined that to be the case? I'm not saying you're wrong, just want to ensure we have that base well covered. Fordem may be right that you're out of your depth, but with some patience and willingness to learn this isn't insurmountable. Have you downloaded both books in the service manual (FAQ's section at the top)? There is a very logical, step by step process detailed in book 2, section 6F2 for ignition diagnostics.

Reactions: Thump3r94

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe random, but...ask your buddy if he has an aftermarket security/starter system installed (especially if it was recently installed).

As for no spark, please detail how you determined that to be the case? I'm not saying you're wrong, just want to ensure we have that base well covered. Fordem may be right that you're out of your depth, but with some patience and willingness to learn this isn't insurmountable. Have you downloaded both books in the service manual (FAQ's section at the top)? There is a very logical, step by step process detailed in book 2, section 6F2 for ignition h

As for no spark, please detail how you determined that to be the case? I'm not saying you're wrong, just want to ensure we have that base well covered. Fordem may be right that you're out of your depth, but with some patience and willingness to learn this isn't insurmountable. Have you downloaded both books in the service manual (FAQ's section at the top)? There is a very logical, step by step process detailed in book 2, section 6F2 for ignition diagnostics.
There very well could be an aftermarket security system in it but my friend doesn't know. As for the spark; first tried turning it over after we removed the sparkplug and put it back in the boot and held it to bare metal and no luck. Then I stuck a screwdriver in the boot and nothing still. Haven't downloaded any of the manuals yet. I'm on mobile and everything is really jumbled together

·
Administrator
17,793 Posts
It might be a good idea to make a "fresh" start...

What dash lights do you get when you turn the key on - charge, oil pressure & check engine should be on, along with possibly a few others - brake, ABS, SRS, depending on the vehicle options fitted - if you don't have those, you have an electrical issue and that's where you need to start..

IF you have those and no spark, get a meter and measure the voltage between the two outer wires in the ignition coil connectors, should be 12VDC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry it's been forever since I was last on. My buddy has been out of town and I've been super busy at work. Still no start on the vehicle though. Gemmie an hour or so to get to my friends house and get any updates

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.