Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Like a few others in this forum, I had the low oil pressure warning come on randomly on my 08 xl7. I would like to try replace the oil switch first because 1) it does not cost much for a oil switch and 2) it is supposed to be a relatively easier job. However, I still had a few problems when trying to do this job. Would really appreciate any help/info.

Here is what happened so far. The new oil switch is in hand. The old switch is located ~2 inches from the oil filter. So I first removed oil filter to get some space and pulled out the wire. Then I found that we need this special tool called oil switch socket (1-1/16") to remove this thing (the edge is not hexagon like other sensors). So I bought the socket (which I tested in store with my new switch and it fits perfectly). The thing I found is that, the socket itself is too long to put into place. There is very limited space between the old switch and alternator (not sure, but should be), resulting in that the socket cannot be put vertical to the old switch and thus cannot get into the perfect contact to remove the old switch.

My questions: 1) Can I use a regular socket (same diameter, but shorter and with regular hexagon fit, not arced corners) to remove the old switch? or 2) I have to somehow move the alternator to get more space? 3) I noticed a lot of grease/debris in this area and the oil switch connector has oil in it, which indicate leak from the switch, and also this may be why I am getting the oil pressure warnings?

I know this may be a very easy job for many of you on this forum, but I am newbie and just started to learn to deal with a car like this. Previously I only worked on my old Mitsubishi Galant which is much easier to work with.... My XL-7 now looks like a monster :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You can use a shorter hex socket but you may have to bend the wire tab or you won't be able to get the ratchet on the socket.
Try not to bend it on the new one. I usually only put the ratchet drive half way into socket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lumpylarry. I tried a shorter hex socket and it got a perfect latch. So I was finally able to replace the oil switch. Till now it has been about a week and the warning light has not come since. Hopefully that is the issue. I also used some cleaner spray to wash the oily wire connector.

I still kept the old switch since I suspect the warning was triggered by that oil in the connector. Does anyone know is there anyway to test whether a oil switch is good or faulty by a multimeter or something?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts