Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. Thanks everyone for their continued help. Slowly getting everything right... did valve cover gasket, plugs, distr cap, rotor, coolant hoses and a slew of interior/exterior trim pieces. Got the suspension coming this weekend. Two outstanding issues hoping the wise Zuki-gurus can help me with. Stock 1.3 engine and transmission.

1. Attached some photos. Where is this leak coming from?!? Feels like the rear main or the driver side of the oil pan. I did the valve cover gasket and the massive puddle on the tranny has gone away but it still a bit wet there. Any thoughts?

2. When I start the truck from cold, it idles really high (2-3k until warm). I followed these directions to try to lower this but do I really "bend" that tab? Idle speed adjustment (carbed models) I've got the warm idle adjusted nicely... b/w 1.3-1.5k which keeps the truck pretty stable.

Also, there are two sensors on the tranny that my wires are totally cut... I guess I don't need these but what are they? You can see the wires in one of the photos.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,168 Posts
I'd say you have multiple leaks - the oil dripping through the drain in the second picture is coming from either a leaking rear main or a transmission input seal - the leak in the first picture is coming from somewhere else.

If you want to locate a leak you need to start by cleaning the engine so you can see where the oil is coming from - judging from the third picture you may also have a leaking distributor O-ring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will clean the engine when I have it jacked up for the suspension this weekend and report back.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
There are actually 2 distributor o-rings. One around the distributor shaft and one between the block and the angle adaptor mount.

Most of the zook vendors will sell you both at the same time in a set. (Petroworks, TrailTough, Low Range Offroad)

·
Registered
80 Posts
the wires are for two things one is for reverse lights whenn in reverse the other is a timing retard when in top gear 5th gear the one closer to the rear is your reverse switch lights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
[/IMG]

The module/connector in the right is the ECM sensor and the module/sensor on the left is for the backup lights.

GIZMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's help on this. Got the shocks on this weekend but didn't clean yet. It looks like it's really coming out of the distributor so going to order the seals and replace that, then clean and see about other leaks.

·
Banned
329 Posts
the wires are for two things one is for reverse lights whenn in reverse the other is a timing retard when in top gear 5th gear the one closer to the rear is your reverse switch lights.
The switches on the tranny are an EGR 5th gear switch (it cuts the EGR operation...it has nothing to do with retarding the timing) and a reverse light switch...to activate the reverse lights, when the tranny is shifted into reverse.
The switch closest to the engine is the Reverse switch. The one nearest the tcase is the 5th gear switch.

·
Super Moderator
12,168 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help on this. Got the shocks on this weekend but didn't clean yet. It looks like it's really coming out of the distributor so going to order the seals and replace that, then clean and see about other leaks.
In addition to the O rings in the distributor mount, there is a seal in the distributor itself, which although replaceable, is, as far as I know, not available from Suzuki - you'll need to disassemble the distributor and take the old one to a seal supply house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts