Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF currently has an awd subaru baja that costs waaay too much for gas (uses premium because of the turbo) and it's got 70K on it, so we've already done some shopping around.

I'm an owner of a '07 Reno and, if I could have afforded one, would have gone with the SX4 crossover. She does pretty well financially and can afford the pimped out SX4. I like the specs on the vehicle (22/30mpg, 143hp, awd, traction control, etc). We go hiking a lot, and hike in the winter, so we'll always need one of the vehicles to have AWD for the trips we may need to go down poorly maintained roads or might know in advance we'll be driving gome in a storm. The SX4 gives us good mileage while also buying that level of awd protection we would like.

My question is for those who owned previously an awd vehicle and how you would compare your old vehicle with the SX4 in handling. I'd also be curious to know if the gas mileage is as good as the sticker says. My reno gets, at best, 28mpg highway when it was rated for 30 on the sticker. I usually use cruise control at 74mph.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what sort of mileage does she get with the baja?
Somewhere around 20 mixed, max 25 hwy. The fact she gets less than the SX4 is estimated, plus the extra expense of permium fuel, and it's enough incentive to ditch the baja while it still has resale value.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ok lets put it this way, as far as fuel economy, the SX4 in in the top three for best mpg with the AWD system. the two others are the Escape Hybrid, i think, and the Audi A3.

so mpg with this car, considering its awd, is impressive. as far as winter driving, this car is very predictable, and with the right set of tires other then the stock bridgestone turenzas, it is almost unstoppable in winter. i got hit with the valentines day blizzard in 2007 here in Northeast PA, two weeks after i got the car, and i drove 80+ miles at 10pm on twisty mountian roads that werent plowed. it handled it great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I sent her a link to the sx4 on suzuki's auto website. She had a suzuki suv loaner/rental a few months ago and liked it, and seems to like my car, so who knows...

·
Registered
30 Posts
SX4 vs Sub Impreza

I have both, but my Suzuki is better. There are pros and cons for each, but an AWD car you can't put in FWD, seems wasteful. My impeza, 1st gear is too high, and 5th too low. Ground clearance, suzuki wins (for finding campsites and deep snow). Torque on the impreza is max at something like 4300rpm, whereas the suzuki is 3600rpm, so the SX4 has a lot less revving to get going (esp. at high altitudes, 7,000ft plus). The subie has softer suspension for washboard, but less sporty than the SX4. Sitting up higher helps with highway travel, just more confident when you can see more. I do wish the SX4 HB had a 13 gallon tank though....

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Suzuki AWD is super!

Suzuki SX4 Crossover AWD with ESP Touring

After 2 days of I-75 driving in extremely heavy rain, I can tell you that the SX4 AWD with ESP is well worth the money. While mine and other cars were hydroplaning, the sx4 awd stayed rock solid on the road in spite of the hydroplaning.

Also, I live in a very hilly winding counrty road area. I have yet to feel a wheel slip or loss of control at any speed I have tried so far. In fact, I have to watch out for driving too fast now. I have also noticed that my car does not have a tendency to roll with the high-g forces.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have both, but my Suzuki is better. There are pros and cons for each, but an AWD car you can't put in FWD, seems wasteful. My impeza, 1st gear is too high, and 5th too low. Ground clearance, suzuki wins (for finding campsites and deep snow). Torque on the impreza is max at something like 4300rpm, whereas the suzuki is 3600rpm, so the SX4 has a lot less revving to get going (esp. at high altitudes, 7,000ft plus). The subie has softer suspension for washboard, but less sporty than the SX4. Sitting up higher helps with highway travel, just more confident when you can see more. I do wish the SX4 HB had a 13 gallon tank though....

Good luck!
The ones I drove today had the option for 2WD and Auto 4WD and 4WD Lock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!
I just bought a 2008 SX4 Crossover AWD in March.

We had been talking and looking at a few comparable cars including the Suzuki. When we went to the dealership where I could test drive one, I was more interested in the Crossover verses the Sedan.

Came home to talk about it (and wait for them to 'make a deal')

The day I went to the dealership to have them 'look over my trade in' and make a final deal on the one I wanted, it had been raining ALL day. I mean, storming and flash flooding, down pour rain. I was soaked and frankly didn't care if I floated away. I was tired of the rain.

30 minutes later I made a pretty good deal on my trade-in even for a 2001 Dodge Caravan with roughly 115,000 miles on it. I drove off the lot in such a great and happy mood, I didn't notice the people in boats .. lol.

Anyhow, that day, I noticed that my new Tonka (what we call our sweet new toy) was what I needed in this stupid Texas weather, that on a dime will change on you. Since, we have had some heavy rain, and it handled it very nicely. When I want to get up and go, it wont hold back. I drive a lot with my job, and I think the MPG seems to be pretty true for the city - if not better - I haven’t taken it on long trips on the highway yet.

I agree with AoAwhile, I haven’t noticed any hydroplaning, I can tell when I put it in Lock, or 4WD, it does what it is supposed to.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's starting to lean towards the Nissan Rogue for the extra performance and interior storage. She likes the looks of it more too (not that the SX4 looks but, but it doesn't appeal to her). She can afford the Rogue, so the cost savings between the 2 isn't much of a factor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
SX4 AWD with snow tires = invincible in winter. I loved that thing. Smaller fuel tank with the AWD so you may feel like you're always filling up, but you don't ahve to put as much fuel in each time, so it's a trade-off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts