Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking at buying a 1990 samurai but its a nice distance away so I was wondering if by some pictures you could clarify some of the suspension mods. The owner is the 3rd owner since they were put on so he's not sure what exactly is done. I know that the gearing is 5:13 and its on 35's. Its got the 1.3L Fuel injected engine. I'm thinking it has some sort of SPOA mod but can't tell alot. He's not sure if they are stock axles and I was wondering the proper steering mods have been done. He says it has a jeep eater kit in it as well. The picture are kinda shitty, but any help would be appreciated as too what mods are there or what would be needed to to complete it. THanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Since nobody jumped in Ill give it a try. It's a SPOA lift, hard to tell in the pics but it looks homemade. Heres the vendor that sells the JPeater kits with some pics. Samurai YJ: YJ Spring Conversion for Samurai

It looks like a decent hi-steer kit which is recommended with lifts. The axles look like Samurai axles but I hope someone will jump in and say for sure, Mine has Toyota axles so I cant compare, going from memory. The YJ springs are 2.5" wide as opposed to Samurai springs being 2", those look wide and long enough to be YJ springs, w/o a measurement hard to be sure.

I cant see the shocks well but if it was not done properly you may want to budget for lift appropriate shocks, brake lines etc.

Are you going to take a look at it? I hope some of the resident seasoned pros give a better answer than I.

Tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to take it. In my area its hard to find a half decent samurai. Im gonna do a little work on the body and probably strip everything down and paint the chassis and all. I just wasn't sure if I was ahead of the game or if this setup would be snapping axles left and right. The guy says it has warn lockers? I think it has the manual locking hubs up front so is this a truck locker? Been wanting to get a samurai for a while. Hope this might be worth the buy!

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
Those areprobably Warn free wheeling hubs, as far as I know that's the only sort of "locker" that Warn does.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Yup, an old (rather thrashed) Jeepeater kit with OTT (high steer) option. Looks like they may have gone for the 'ultimate' version... Too bad they never painted the bare metal. They look like YJ springs considering the spacers that widen the shackles and adapt them to fit the stock spring hangers AND the wider springs.
Stock axles. But if they said it had 5.13's then they also did a swap to Track/Kick axle gears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey you say "thrashed" jeep eaters? What do you mean. Does it appear to be broken or need fixing. I won't be able to see it in person until wednesday. And also what do you mean by ultimate?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
'Thrashed' is probably not the right word for it. The lift looks right, and nothing looks broken but when I buy something I like to actually see it instead of trying to imagine what's under the dirt and corrosion. It needs some serious cleaning and then a good coat of paint to keep the corrosion away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts