Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I just got my first tracker a month ago and was super stoked. It is a 1994 2 door convertible manual. Unfortunately last week it started losing power on hills and so I stopped driving it and now it wouldn’t drive at all. I had my dad look at it and he discovered that it was the crankshaft key slot. I am absolutely choked as I just got this car and do not have any idea what to do although i hear this is a common issue. Will try to include a pic, I’m open to any and all suggestions ... :(

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum... All is not lost..

This is a common result when the crank bolt has not been torqued to the required 94 foot pounds.

There is a repair for the malady, search the forum or, wait for BEX to respond.

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
Welcome to the forum. And really sorry for your current adventure. As Aqua says above, this crank key situation happens when people replace their timing belt, and mistakenly remove the center 17mm bolt when doing so, and then don’t torque that bolt to 94 ft/lbs when reinserting it. That bolt never needs to be removed when doing the timing belt. There is a fix for it - the Loctite fix, as indicated here. You need to follow the instructions to the letter, as well as use that exact type of Loctite when doing the repair.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I can relate. I purchased a '94 Tracker 8v last year with a drivability problem, which, turned out to be the wallowed keyway. Purchased a new crank gear, key, & bolt from Low Range Off Road. cleaned up the crankshaft & keyway with scrub pad & lacquer thinner, replaced crank seal, used thread-locker to “glue” the woodruff key into position then placed gear over the key until it set up (overnight), removed gear & epoxied the keyway void, reinstalled the gear & torqued the bolt to 94 lb.ft., let the epoxy set-up for 2 days, runs like a champ now.

Additionally, remove any burrs from the crank, also, all the wear on the crank keyway should be on the left when facing the engine from outside of the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
625 Posts
It's nice to hear a success story every once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
I think we’re all success stories...lol. That’s why we still have these cars on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts