Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone this will be my very first thread on this forum so please treat me like a new ignorant tad haha. Okay I just purchased a Carry 4x4 with ONLY 4 - speed manual transmission. I originally wanted the 5 speed variant but it took me waiting because they have to source it from Japan yard. I decided to take the 4 speeder unit instead, so far ive got no major issues going on. Its just this sleepless nights that i keep on thinking why the f*** didnt i wait for the 5 speed tranny. Now Im sick the whole time around. My question is does 4-speed tranny have any ADVANTAGES over the 5 sp? All I can say is that from 60km/h engine sounds seem its asking for another gear. Im planning to SWAP it out for a different variant and i dont care if they ask additional payment but they gave a simple, "no sir we cant swap it out" . Im considering buying a 5 speed tranny OR am i just good with this 4 speeder and learn to love my Scrum?

·
Registered
616 Posts
First of all - and this IS a typical question directed at a Newbie/Noob - WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED????

The forum;'s public profile (which provides the information seen below my 'Hypnotoad' avatar on the left) is not designed to help people pillage your home (unless you DO leave exact address information). It is actually there to help people who live your part of the world figure out how to answer your question.

For instance, many members live in the USA where Carrys - and similar kei trucks - are not street-legal and are very rare. Thus, all the USAens can't really help you find a 5-speed transmission - much less tell you how difficult/easy it is to install one in your 4-speed truck. The rest of the members do not know where you are located so they are reluctant to respond as they might provide incorrect information ( Carrys may not be the same across the world...)

So rush on over to the Personal Profile page and fill it out! Be prepared to be inundated with helpfulness!

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @ack i just updated my profile l. Yeah i have thought about as most would become reluctant to assist if location is not indicated. And I badly need your opinions right now.:(

·
Registered
553 Posts
Greetings and welcome! I have a automatic in my van. I have had it since 2008.
60kph is about the maximum SAFE operating sped on a free way here in Cebu, and they just lowered that to 45 due to accidents.
Carry trucks are work vehicles, not speedsters.
Is your 4x4 full time, or can U disengage it?
Do U have knobby tires, or is it standard?
Tires here unless new tend to blowout and at high speed cause a rollover.
Speed comes with a BMW, not Carry.
Remember, truck gearing is about getting started with a heavy load, not speed.
The first 3 are for getting up to 45 or so, the 4th is like overdrive when on freeway.
Input from truck drivers in US will be good to explain about truck operation as I have been here 10+ years and have forgotten a lot about trucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi @newsavedone thanks for your inputs. My 4x4 is not full time, it can be disengaged with a lever beside the handbrake and a switch in the dash. I do have kargador tires, those beefy off roader ones. I know its not safe to speed up with my current set up but should i change to smaller tires with magnesium alloy wheels i doubt my engine will have higher RPMs when 5th gear is not around. :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, Carrys are not for the highway. Top Gear's Richard Hammond rolled a Carry doing high speed maeuvering on a test track.

I own a Samurai/Sierra/SJ413.

I discovered that putting bigger tyres (or "tires" if you are not of the British Commonwealth...) will increase speed and lower RPMs. However, the added weight of the tires does not help in the equation.

I was able to improve things by installing "taller" ratioed ring and pinions in my axles along with a bigger engine (G16 out of a first-gen Vitara). These modifications turned my vehicle in to a reasonably well-mannered highway vehicle. Scary to drive on the highway but at least i wasn't constantly downshifting to keep up with traffic...

Are you seeing a pattern here? It takes money to make a vehicle something that it is not.

Carrys are Carrys. They are cute, but they are designed for a specific purpose - to move stuff from point A to Point B. If I was going to drive a Carry around town to do shopping or pick up stuff at the lumberyard or hardware store (and I didn't live in the USofA) I would buy one. No modifications needed.

My suggestion would be to purchase slightly lighter but larger diameter tires with a mildly aggressive tread. The tread will help out on unimproved roads while providing more contact with the road than knobby tires while you drive on paved roads.

Tread contact will improve handling at speed and larger tires will make the engine run at lower RPMs and improve overall top speed a little - assuming the tires are not too bulky and the wheels are light-weight. You are looking for a balance between aggressive tread and overall tire weight.

Finally, I am the proud owner of a rare Ford Transit Connect window van. It could be described as:

A Ford Transit hit by a Shrink-Ray
A Ford Focus with a Van body
A largeish Carry with front wheel drive.
Something from Turkey made out of Pure Unobtainium.

I think I actually own it just to enjoy people stopping me in parking lots to ask me "What the heck is that???"

Perhaps that is a subtle benefit of Carry Ownership in Northern Philippines...

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Greetings! Tire selection in Philippines is very limited, and so is knowledge about the different types, and what they are suited for. All our stuff is scrap from Japan, no aftermarket. If they find a 5 speed, I will be surprised if they can get it installed and working, and you can bet they will not find the right turn shaft. What ever comes out of the container the scrap is shipped here in is what becomes the vehicle. They ship about 10 cut up vehicles in a 40 footer. Cebu is the place to get things fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been driving my carry on the highway once a week traveling at 100km/h for the last 2 years and i always see other kei trucks on the highway doing speeds of 80km/h or more.

the standard bridgestone 145 r12 are a little more floaty than the bigger wheels I normally run but still very controllable. (why bigger wheels? I like how they look.... nothing more.)
putting bigger wheels on and lower profile tires on will keep the rolling diameter the same so no need to worry about the speedometer... A couple of things to keep in mind are offset and wheel width because the wheels may touch the chassis on full lock of the steering wheel..

I only have one car, my carry. I've driven it every day since i got it, around town and for several hours on the highway to and from the snow fields here in Japan without trouble.
I'll admit it's not the best highway vehicle but there's nothing wrong with doing it...

as for tires... in japan you are only allowed to use the standard 145 r12 LT tires..
they are suitable for anything in my opinion.
Having said that thought it doesn't stop us owners from changing them..
I have a set of 13" wheels setup with snow tires.
A set of 12" standard wheels and tires.
And a set of rare suzuki Kei wheels 14" (i think) for summer.

You say "carry" but you must know there are a lot of different models with different configurations and even different engines.
my fourth gear is good until 80km/h
the f6a engine produces max power at like 6000rpm so don't worry about giving her a good rev.

Gears.
i have a db52t. that's a 5 speed, part time 4wd, f6a engine.
first gear is next to useless. 4th and 5th too...way too close together...
many people have told me here that the real problem is more likely the diffs...
a few different diffs will fit in the rear housing but they wont match your front diff so you're kinda screwed.. a few people use the van version of the carry (Every) diffs with some success but i cant help you with that because i don't know which truck you have.......

sleepy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts