Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1987 Suzuki Samurai 5 speed 4 wheel drive

Had some snow and ice.. Locked the wheels and put the sammy in 4H and have been driving for a week or more... Went out this morning, didnt need 4WD any longer... Turn the wheels locks to free and went to put the transfer case in 2H and it went to NEUTRAL and will not budge from there.. I put a lot of pressure sideways, back and forth... Will go in gear forward and reverse but, of course I cant go anywhere because the 4WD is in neutral...
So.. What do you think happened and how do I fix it....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have no idea of what is wrong. But, you may try turning your front drive shaft, by hand and see if that frees things up. If that doesn't work, rock your truck, or lift one wheel and turn the rear D-shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to remember the 4wd transfer is in neutral... Both drive shafts will turn.. I have pushed the car out of the garage to try and work on it...so the truck will move freely, If you Push IT....Just cant get the 4wd transfer to go into 2H, 4L or 4H... Stuck in neutral...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your rear shaft won't turn, unless you have one or more wheels in the air. If it does, when on flat ground, then you've got other problems.

What I'm thinking, is like this, somtimes you have to back-up in order to gte the 4x4 to loosen up enough to shift, or to get the hubs able to be unlocked (this usually only occurs on american stuff). So, that if you turn the shafts, maybe they will unbind something on the inside. I don't think so, but it is worth a try.

Sometimes a car will not go into gear...and if you let off of the clutch, it will turn the gears, in the transmission, and then when you step on the clutch and give it another try, it will then go in to gear.

Also, sometimes, when going from L to H, or H to L, you can get stuck betweeen the gears in N and it won't go and it will grind like crazy. If you turn the key off, and give it another try, it will then shift the rest of the way. Now, there is nothing wrong when the trans when it does that...even though it is not working the way that it should.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong w/your transfer, other than it just needs some coaxing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
One thing the tutorial fails to mention is that the shifter guide pins come in from the side of the housing and the new poly bushing will not just drop in. It's flexable enough to deform and pry past the pins one at a time :)

This is also a goog time to fix a sloppy shifter with a new poly bushing. (Petroworks sell a kit with both)

And to sand and repaint the rusty shifters^_^

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
That is a very old article, now the poly bushing is available from most of the zook vendors. There is also a brass version from ZOR (Zukes Offroad) that will probably last longer than your t-case gears!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a bunch... that was the culprit... took it apart.. didnt even see a bushing .. just little chunks... cleaned it out and re-aligned and have gear now... will order part and fix... thanks again for all the input...Great Forum...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts