Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've always loved the Samurai even as a kid and i've always wanted one. here in Fl they can go for a pretty penny so they've always been outside of my budget.

i finally had some extra $$ and spent it on this beat up POS. it's an 87 with lots of character (dents). clean title and street legal. it already has the 1.6 sidekick motor swap done and it runs awesome. sits on 35's and has a diesel roll cage in it.

i'm sure the original owner was on here at one point....had to be. ;)

my lil brother loves it too

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome!

Very cool Sami, that looks like a ton of fun, and a ragtop to boot!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
There is a lot of info on it. Do you have the 16v or 8v engine?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a lot of info on it. Do you have the 16v or 8v engine?
i see that. i'm going to start by making sure the tires are inflated properly and check for any loose nuts/bolts. some of the bushings have cracks that i'll replace too.

problem is.....is that i don't currently own a jack that i can use on something this tall lol

it's the 8v

·
Registered
686 Posts
A hi-lift jack will be handy to have onboard when you go on adventures but I think you can probably rent a large floor jack for the meantime. I have even used a small crappy floor jack and 4x4 blocks but you will definitely want proper jack stands before you begin work.

btw nice 9-3, I wish my 9-5 were a ragtop.

Are you near some wheelin' places?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for sure. i'm seaching CL for one now.

what's a 9-3 and 9-5? sorry although i have always had love for the Sammy, i'm pretty ignorant about the terms and specs.

there are local mud spots. nothing really to climb because i live in flat florida

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'll be looking for an aluminum hi-lift to, my Sami is about done and ready to go far far far away from everything. There was a time with my F250 that I lost a tire near beckler river and I had to use the winch and a tree to lift the front of the truck as my hi-lift found a new home before I noticed it.

I noticed the black Saab 9-3 in the pic in your driveway. Pretty sweet car, I drive a gently modded 9-5 and I notice them because there are essentially no other Saabs around here but probably many where you are. Sadly I live in Chevy/Jeep country.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be looking for an aluminum hi-lift to, my Sami is about done and ready to go far far far away from everything. There was a time with my F250 that I lost a tire near beckler river and I had to use the winch and a tree to lift the front of the truck as my hi-lift found a new home before I noticed it.

I noticed the black Saab 9-3 in the pic in your driveway. Pretty sweet car, I drive a gently modded 9-5 and I notice them because there are essentially no other Saabs around here but probably many where you are. Sadly I live in Chevy/Jeep country.
and THAT is why i need a winch too!!! ;)

ahhhh the Saab. it's my GF's which she doesn't drive...she drives my truck instead. she claims it's a really fast car but i've never driven it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Winch for many reasons, many many reasons.

As for the 9-3, they are fairly quick cars, lots of fun and well made, my 9-5 is deceptively fast for the minor mods (ECU, CAI and 3" DP/cat) and still gives me better than 30 highway. I regard it as a perfect car except for the lack of a ragtop and the presence of two extra doors.

What are your plans for the Samurai?
Does it have power steering?
You must have some ideas of what you want to do so far, after dealing with the death wobble.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are your plans for the Samurai?
Does it have power steering?
You must have some ideas of what you want to do so far, after dealing with the death wobble.
no power steering but i stopped by my redneck mechanic friends last night. he was telling me how to put a toyo steering box and power steering in. he's built all kinds of crazy sammy/sidekick monster trucks lol he took a quick glance under it and said that the cracked shackle bushings are more than likely the cause of the death wobble....that and worn front tires.

speaking of tires. what's the normal psi people run in 35's? i check the tires yesterday:

front: pass side 10psi driver side 20psi
rear: both has 20psi

as for now, it's going to stay a mud/trail truck. i've got a 98 tracker 4x4 that i'm working on as my DD...along with all my motorcycle projects (mainly what i do).

i did find a CL list today where a guy is selling a complete body for a sammy for $500. i've already offered him $400. i can probably pull the parts off the body to make mine look a lil nicer. :shades:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mine is also on some crappy worn 35". I live in a really hilly region so reduction of rolling resistance is important, I run 20-22 street and its a bit rough but much less and the steering becomes pretty vague. I run Toyota axles.

I plan on some 305/75/16 for street-ish tires once I find appropriate rims.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is also on some crappy worn 35". I live in a really hilly region so reduction of rolling resistance is important, I run 20-22 street and its a bit rough but much less and the steering becomes pretty vague. I run Toyota axles.

I plan on some 305/75/16 for street-ish tires once I find appropriate rims.
yep, he was talking about toyo axles too. baby steps for me....i haven't even had a chance to get it dirty yet lol

that's not a bad idea. i have a spare set of rims that i picked up for the tracker (was going to have a spare set for dirt) maybe some big street tires would help out too

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was planning on a set for street/mild trails, maybe a 305 or 33, then continue to run 35s on those "get way the hell out of town-away from everyone" weeks.
Lots of folks run the Sami axles with great success.

I wanted the Yota axles because I'm in a region where its about as far from flat as possible. Lots of rocks, fallen trees, some mudholes. I really wanted the added durability because I enjoy seeing how much distance I can get from civilization. I wanted the added wheel wheelbase width for off camber stuff. If I lived in a flatter region I'm not sure I would have worried about it. There is some real nasty rock crawling here, tends to be hard on stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was planning on a set for street/mild trails, maybe a 305 or 33, then continue to run 35s on those "get way the hell out of town-away from everyone" weeks.
Lots of folks run the Sami axles with great success.

I wanted the Yota axles because I'm in a region where its about as far from flat as possible. Lots of rocks, fallen trees, some mudholes. I really wanted the added durability because I enjoy seeing how much distance I can get from civilization. I wanted the added wheel wheelbase width for off camber stuff. If I lived in a flatter region I'm not sure I would have worried about it. There is some real nasty rock crawling here, tends to be hard on stuff.
SOUNDS DREAMY!!!!!!!!

here in Fl we have none of that....well a couple of mud holes but you've got to drive a good ways just to find some dirt to play in

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
686 Posts
I like the bike jack idea to.

If you ever vacate this way let me know and I'll show you around a bit.

First is me and a friend up behind Custer, Samurai in my backyard, me on an overlook that shows much of the forest land adjacent to my house and last one I took while messing with the ATV around in the Buffalo Gap Grasslands which is about 45 minutes from here. All the wide open spaces are amazing along with forest land. I was stuck living in the greater Seattle area for many years... SO glad to be out of there and back here. I would be interested in seeing pics of where people play with their Sammi creations.

I could never move to a metro area ever again. Samurais are perfect for out here. Lots of jeeps in the area but the small lighter Samurai can go so many insane places. If you have flats in your area how far to you have to go to find rocks/trees/hills?

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the bike jack idea to.

If you ever vacate this way let me know and I'll show you around a bit.

First is me and a friend up behind Custer, Samurai in my backyard, me on an overlook that shows much of the forest land adjacent to my house and last one I took while messing with the ATV around in the Buffalo Gap Grasslands which is about 45 minutes from here. All the wide open spaces are amazing along with forest land. I was stuck living in the greater Seattle area for many years... SO glad to be out of there and back here. I would be interested in seeing pics of where people play with their Sammi creations.

I could never move to a metro area ever again. Samurais are perfect for out here. Lots of jeeps in the area but the small lighter Samurai can go so many insane places. If you have flats in your area how far to you have to go to find rocks/trees/hills?
FRIGGIN' SWEET!!!! you live where i'd love to live.

you do enduro's too? i have 3 street legal supermotos and 3 enduros. haven't been doing as much "hoonin" as i use to now that Fl has a felony charge and $1000 ticket for wheelies.

but i LOVE trail riding! we've packed up 9-12 bikes and headed up to Durhamtown Plantation twice this year already. that place is amazing. here in Fl, around me, all we really have is sugar sand....and it sucks!

if i'm ever your way i'll totally hit you up.

here are a couple of pics from our last trip there. no pics of us on the MX tracks or the fast courses because everyone is too busy haulin' ass themselves....no one want to stop to take pics :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts