Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I am from Levittown Pa USA I know every car has a following out there so here I am. I do most all My own work on every car I have ever had or had.
I didn't see a proper place to put my question so if this is wrong I am sorry.

I am buying a used 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara with 64,000 miles on it for $2,500 (No Joking from a little old lady)

It is a V6, 4x4, automatic the only problem I found is the AC compresser is locked up. The person I am geting it from is buying a new car because the AC don"t work in this one. I already Gave her Money down and I will be picking it on Saturday.(because her new car was ordered)

My question is I dont know much about the Suzuki. I'm a American car guy I also have a blazer ZR2, But I feel little weird about the Suzuki most likely because I have never herd anything about them. (but the sidekick and how fun they are) So is the 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara a good dependable find or should I stay away from it

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Welcome! :)

They are great vehicles, if maintained with normal periodic upkeep.

Familiarize yourself with any number of threads posted here in this section, to learn more about them.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Not to worry, they do not speak Japanese... as far as mechanical they are akin to any other internal combustion engine.

..... Philip

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I bought my Tracker knowing it was really a just Suzuki with a bowtie. I had strictly been a GM fan, as I've also owned several S-series trucks and Blazers (1st and 2nd gens). I never thought I would fall for this little rig as much as I did. In fact, I'm so sold on Suzuki's reliability now, that last summer I did the unthinkable and traded my wife's 07 Trailblazer SS in on a 13 Suzuki Kizashi SLS Sport AWD. :eek: Had it not been for my Tracker showing me how bullitproof a Suzuki can be, I would have never even considered an import. I don't regret that move either. The Kizashi has been a great car so far. No, it doesn't have that sweet 400hp LS2, but the power is adequate and it handles like a slot car so it's actually fun to drive.
But getting back to the Tracker....mine has the 2.0 4cyl and has 242k miles on it as I type this. I replaced the timing chains a few thousand miles ago and the motor sounds better now than it did when I bought it with 130k. I've had 2 idler pullys fail on me, 2 swaybar endlinks, and a driver's-side door handle. That's it. Period. Nothing else. Just oil changes, tires, and a few brake jobs are all I've had to do to it.
So yes they are dependable, and yes you should buy that Grand Vitara. It will change the way you look at your GM cars.;)
Don't get me wrong, I still like my Chevys. But it's nice to have a car or 2 in your fleet that doesn't require constant attention.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2500 for that car is an extremely good price! I bought my 03 tracker back in november for $2300 with 126k miles on it and I felt like i got a pretty good deal...and it still needs some work (oil pan....ugh). Nice find, they really are great little cars, I'm actually quite surprised with how much I like my little tracker. It's nothing like driving my ram (5.9l 360 to a 2.0l 4 cylinder is quite a jump down), but I love the gas mileage and reliability!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Our first GV was a 2000 we bought used w/about 95kmi on it to tow behind our RV; we put ~20kmi on it before it was totaled by a little old lady who ran a stoplight ;-) We liked it so much we've now got two 2004 GVs. I think if you like off-roading, you'll have a blast with your new purchase. Not the best gas mileage, but great 4x4ing. I'd change all the filters and fluids, including brake fluid, when you get it - that way you know where you start with those items. In the process of doing that and replacing the compressor, you'll see what else you've inherited that you need to take care of. I would check closely for rust rot based on where you live. And you can sample the old fluids and send to Blackstone Labs to see if there's unusual wear indications (order your free sample bottles now!). Congratulations on what looks like a great deal, and welcome to the boards!!

·
Super Moderator
4,466 Posts
welcome neighbor. I am right over the bridge in Cinnaminson nj. I to am an American car guy since the 60's and now own two Japanese every day car as well as my Mustang GT convertible for fun. You will see the Suzuki is very reliable and fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm Happy to see Real People who can tell me a little bit about GV.
Reading reviews your not sure who is writing them.
I'm not afraid of the preventive maintenance or even the major stuff.
I have worked on everything from Go-carts to Mack trucks, What I was worried about was what kind of rep Suzuki has.
Other then Motorcycles I don't know crap about them and never even saw me driving one
And it never crossed my mind that Suzuki and Chevy were one in the same as soon as I saw that I was like DUH! The lady I got this GV of of gave me a file she had on it, From the day she got till 2 weeks ago when she had it in for oil lube and Inspection. No major problems with it. It has new belts hoses are 3 years old she kept it up at the dealer and Im sure the dealer can give me a complete history on it. I think I did fine with it and im more at ease with you comments thanks for the reply everyone. Hey XL7Limited if you ever see a GV with a pa tag Esty beep its me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts